Oct 11, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
While many think Sandy Alderson is the man, the Mets are interviewing several other men for the top job this week.
Today, Steve Popper of the Bergen Record reports, was former Royals GM Allard Baird. Baird, a well respected scout, has been with the Red Sox for the past few years. His tenure with Kansas City was a tumultuous and highly unsuccessful one, but his supporters say much of that had to do with interference with ownership.
Hmm . . . well-respected, scouting background, GM stint screwed up by ownership. Sounds like someone we know!
Oh well. After Baird comes White Sox assistant general manager Rick
Hahn tomorrow, former
Diamondbacks general manager Josh Byrnes on Wednesday
and Alderson at the end of the week.
I like to mock the Mets — oh, you know I do — but I have to say it: I am quite impressed with the men they’ve considered for the job, and the seemingly methodical manner in which they’ve approached their GM search.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)