Oct 11, 2010, 5:02 PM EST
While many think Sandy Alderson is the man, the Mets are interviewing several other men for the top job this week.
Today, Steve Popper of the Bergen Record reports, was former Royals GM Allard Baird. Baird, a well respected scout, has been with the Red Sox for the past few years. His tenure with Kansas City was a tumultuous and highly unsuccessful one, but his supporters say much of that had to do with interference with ownership.
Hmm . . . well-respected, scouting background, GM stint screwed up by ownership. Sounds like someone we know!
Oh well. After Baird comes White Sox assistant general manager Rick
Hahn tomorrow, former
Diamondbacks general manager Josh Byrnes on Wednesday
and Alderson at the end of the week.
I like to mock the Mets — oh, you know I do — but I have to say it: I am quite impressed with the men they’ve considered for the job, and the seemingly methodical manner in which they’ve approached their GM search.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)