And That Happened: Division Series Edition

Oct 12, 2010, 5:47 AM EDT

The Giants move one. But really: is there a pitching controversy in San Francisco?

Giants 3, Braves 2: The micro — along with a Bobby Cox farewell — you can read here. For now let me add that if the Giants play any more close games, they’re going to kill Aubrey Huff: “I don’t know how you can be a fan of this team sometimes,” he said after the game. In response to Brian McCann’s go-ahead homer: “This was just the sixth. The other day, they hit a
go-ahead homer in the eighth. I almost puked then, but I was fine with it this time.”

Hey, it was an intense series, Aubrey, I’ll grant you that. But please don’t puke. They got cameras everywhere in the post season and there’s no way we won’t see it.

1. dlf - Oct 12, 2010 at 7:05 AM

I don’t want to wade into the other thread, so I’ll put this here. I’m 42 years old, moved to the south in 1980 near the end of the first Bobby Cox tenure in Atlanta, went off to college in 1985 within driving distance of Toronto for his one AL pennant, and returned to the South after college in 1989 while he was near the end of his time as Braves GM before going back to the dugout the next year. In a very real sense, I have grown up as a baseball fan with Bobby Cox always being there for me. I’ll miss him.

Beyond just missing him in the dugout, I’ve been thinking about what I’ve learned from him. In my professional life, I am a director of a business unit with about 200 employees. They don’t pitch, hit or field, but they have a job to do and I manage that team. From Bobby, I’ve learned that downward loyalty creates upward loyalty. I’ve learned that I should praise my team in public, but not do so too much or it will create unrealistic expectations. I’ve learned that I should criticize only in private where it may lead to constructive growth without public shaming of the miscreant. I’ve learned that sometimes you have to argue with the umpires — in my case the CEO and board of directors — because they don’t always see what really happened. I’ve learned that personnel and policy decisions should be made slowly and not changed on a whim. I’ve learned that every member of the team has a role to play and that if they don’t want to play that role, they need to be on another team. I’ve learned that rookies can come in and contribute. I’ve learned that people who are purportedly bit players, if placed in the right role, can find ways to really shine and make all of us better. I’ve learned humility in victory and unfortunately I’ve learned restraint in defeat. Unlike Bobby Cox, I’m not one of the best of all time at what I do, but I’m better at it from learning from him. Thanks Bobby.

2. Jonny5 - Oct 12, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Well, it’s on now. Pat the Bat is coming back to Philly and it ain’t to make all nicey nice either… Bochy is a great manager and the Giants are not going to roll over. The Phills have their pitching all buttoned up and ready to rock, but I hope the offense can kick it up a notch or two, or three.. The Braves had a spectacular season considering, and Bobby Cox really showed how good he really is. What’s that? ohh, Lee vs. Price? Again? This one is really going to count you say?? Got Wood?? Check.

3. murd - Oct 12, 2010 at 9:19 AM

This is really hard for me to say since he played at Miami, but Burrell was pretty damn classy going over to talk to Conrad during BP yesterday.

4. Mr. Heyward - Oct 12, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I also will avoid the other post’s comments section and place this here: Bobby Cox you are a legend and I spent my childhood rooting for you and your team. You will be missed and the great things you’ve accomplished, and only you accomplished, won’t be forgotten.

5. Jonny5 - Oct 12, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Burrell is a great guy. Giants fans will find this out if they haven’t already. Oh and he can hit bombs from time to time, so that helps.

6. murd - Oct 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Yeah I was joking around. College rivalries die hard, but everything I’ve heard about him is good.

7. Utley's hair - Oct 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Don’t forget about Rowand. He’ll always have a special place here–though you’ll have to peel bck the padding on the centerfield fence to see it.

Ace-killer Giants do it again