Oct 12, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
All things Billy Beane have lost quite a bit of gravitas over the past few years, but the A’s general manager still makes headlines when he weighs in on various topics and said yesterday that he thinks Sandy Alderson would be the perfect fit as the Mets’ next GM.
There’s no question he would change the image there. Right away, there would be direction and vision. That seems to be what people are calling out for. I have zero doubt that it would work, no reservations. His background suggests that he would thrive with something like this situation. It would be an incredible fit. He’s got a Hall of Fame resume. And he’s going to bring the best and brightest to work with him. And they want to work for him. There was never a time when I worked for him that I was restless, because there was never a day I didn’t learn something from him.
Beane was Alderson’s assistant in the 1990s and then succeeded him as A’s general manager. By most accounts Alderson is the clear front-runner for the Mets’ job and some reports have even suggested that interviewing non-Alderson candidates is little more than a formality before New York hires him.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 57
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 59
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 27
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)