Oct 12, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
All things Billy Beane have lost quite a bit of gravitas over the past few years, but the A’s general manager still makes headlines when he weighs in on various topics and said yesterday that he thinks Sandy Alderson would be the perfect fit as the Mets’ next GM.
There’s no question he would change the image there. Right away, there would be direction and vision. That seems to be what people are calling out for. I have zero doubt that it would work, no reservations. His background suggests that he would thrive with something like this situation. It would be an incredible fit. He’s got a Hall of Fame resume. And he’s going to bring the best and brightest to work with him. And they want to work for him. There was never a time when I worked for him that I was restless, because there was never a day I didn’t learn something from him.
Beane was Alderson’s assistant in the 1990s and then succeeded him as A’s general manager. By most accounts Alderson is the clear front-runner for the Mets’ job and some reports have even suggested that interviewing non-Alderson candidates is little more than a formality before New York hires him.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 61
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)