Oct 12, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
All things Billy Beane have lost quite a bit of gravitas over the past few years, but the A’s general manager still makes headlines when he weighs in on various topics and said yesterday that he thinks Sandy Alderson would be the perfect fit as the Mets’ next GM.
There’s no question he would change the image there. Right away, there would be direction and vision. That seems to be what people are calling out for. I have zero doubt that it would work, no reservations. His background suggests that he would thrive with something like this situation. It would be an incredible fit. He’s got a Hall of Fame resume. And he’s going to bring the best and brightest to work with him. And they want to work for him. There was never a time when I worked for him that I was restless, because there was never a day I didn’t learn something from him.
Beane was Alderson’s assistant in the 1990s and then succeeded him as A’s general manager. By most accounts Alderson is the clear front-runner for the Mets’ job and some reports have even suggested that interviewing non-Alderson candidates is little more than a formality before New York hires him.
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 0
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)