Bobby Valentine may be the "front runner" for the Mariners job

Oct 12, 2010, 2:01 PM EDT

At some point, there are so many Bobby Valentine rumors floating around that they become utterly meaningless. That point was probably back in June, actually.

But hey, we aim to be comprehensive around here, so we’d hate it if you didn’t know that Shannon Drayer ESPN radio in Seattle is reporting that Valentine “may
very well be the front-runner” for the Mariners’ managerial opening.

Psst: Shannon! Back in August, Valentine himself said that he didn’t think he was a good fit for Seatlle! That doesn’t mean your story is wrong, of course. It just means that if you’re right, you can add on “Bobby Valentine is a BS’ser of the first order” to whatever you report about his taking the gig.

1. The Steve Jeltz Experiment - Oct 12, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Craig, you should get out in front of it and report that Valentine is now a possibility to succeed Bobby Cox. Not that it would be true, but because it would be the one “opening” where no one else will have listed his name.

2. APBA Guy - Oct 12, 2010 at 2:18 PM

The subject of Bobby Valentine managing the Feesh was one of the seminars at the first annual Congress on Gator’s Strange Attractor (CoGSA) held last Friday at Lori’s on Powell in SF (only because the line at Sear’s Fine Foods was too long). Among the other discussion topics:
    – Marilyn Monroe-if alive today, would she still be hot (consensus: yes)
    – Shysterball better than HBT (No. Quite good, but f/t blogging and greater resources make for an improved product. To wit-Tiffany)
    – A’s and Feesh-are they the same team? (No, but their owners are in fact the same)
    – Cowboy Junkies-why? (better than you’d think. Give a listen)
    – Blue Bottle coffee-the best? (No. that’s Greenwell Farms Private Reserve. But Blue Bottle is damn good and half the price.)
    -This year’s Series? (Likely Phils and Yanks, slight edge to the Phightin’s, unless they all die of clogged arteries.)
    – Bobby V managing the Feesh? (maybe-he’ll take the first solid offer.)
    As you can see a fabulous time was had by all. Of course, the 70 degree, sunny skies, low humidity, Bay breeze etc. helped. Thanks to Gator for coming out to the Bay Area to preside over the festivities.

3. Utley's hair - Oct 12, 2010 at 2:51 PM

BREAKING NEWS: Bobby appears to be a front runner for a job with DLF.

4. Jonny5 - Oct 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Bobby V is done. He will forever reside as a cushy announcer. That’s what I think. I think he’ll be a media whore, get everyone all worked up ,then tell everyone, “ahhh nevermind ,I’m a tv personality now”.
    Jerry Manuel will lead the Feesh next season.

5. Old Gator - Oct 12, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Sorry,, Braves fans. You get Fat Freddi next year. Better you than the Feesh – although I guess if he disappointed Scrooge McLoria so badly in not being able to win with a band of mariners, renegades and castaways, it probably would have been nice if Scrooge and the Chihuahua had been stuck with him.

6. Old Gator - Oct 12, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I could hate you. And I’m a Buddhist. Which means if you’re right, I’ll keep hating you through a thousand incarnations. And then, about forty yugas hence, we’ll wind up as the two heads of a bifurcated planaria and we’ll deserve each other.

7. Kiwicricket - Oct 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM

That lucky son-of-a-gun

8. Old Gator - Oct 12, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Yeah, and the corned beef hash at Lori’s ain’t bad either. Neither was our jovial Mexican waiter, who was probably just happy to have escaped from Arizona before one of Governor Leatherface’s storm troopers demanded his papers. But his cheerfulness aided and abetted our subversive activities rather nicely, didn’t it? Speaking of which, as a correspondent once remarked about the Copenhagen Conference where the initial possibility of the GSA was the theoretical shrapnel thrown off by Einstein’s clash with Bohr (“God does not play baseball with the universe”), thanks to our Mexican compadre the official language of the symposium was broken Espanglish.
    I have to vote for Blue Bottle coffee. Any establishment that hires a baristo who not only laughed at “too many alchemists spoil the homunculus” but who actually asked me to spell it so he could look it up goes to the top of my “A” list.
    Craig, while you’re nursing your sundry psychic wounds, you would be pleased to know that you were very much with us in spirit out San Andreas way.

9. Kiwicricket - Oct 12, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Why would I not be surprised to learn that if Bobby got divorced, a minion would hand over details involving ‘Project Bobby’ detailing his plan of global domination and Presidency etc

10. Kiwicricket - Oct 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Fine work regarding the summit. These particular issues have been troubling me for quite some time, and I now I feel I have closure. I would however, like to raise a point regarding Ms Monroe. I once had a dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, very attractive and shapely in her youth, which lounged about in the house and tried to eat and drink as often as humanly/canine-‘ly’ possible. With nothing to do but eat, drink and socialize, her suave silhouette eroded into something that resembles a wine barrel. I think you need to discuss this particular matter further, as I feel a hasty, possibly intoxicated verdict had been achieved.

11. Jonny5 - Oct 12, 2010 at 3:44 PM

No, if your possible hate runs that strong we will be married in the next life. You will be rewarded with the ability to take all of your hatred out on me as my wife. Wait, is that happening already??? I don’t know why, but I get this funny feeling about Jerry headin on down with the rest of the snowbirds. maybe it’s just a hunch? Maybe I KNOW stuff? this will surely give you night sweats. ;>P

12. Utley's hair - Oct 12, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Would you rather Tony LaRussa?

13. Old Gator - Oct 12, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Oddly enough, yes. Working for Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua would be inadequate punishment for the hyena louse who backstabbed Willie Randolph, but it would be just right for LaRussa.

14. YANKEES1996 - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Would somebody just HIRE the guy so we can move on already!

15. YANKEES1996 - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:22 PM

@Kiwicricket, Say Bobby V does look a little like Dr. Evil.

16. Jonny5 - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Imagine the ton of poopy he would carry in his pants working with Loria??? My goodness. He’d have to literally be wheeled out to take out the pitcher…

17. Kiwicricket - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I was poking a bit of fun at the Dodgers thing but sure, shaven head….white suit…..I can run with that one.

18. Utley's hair - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:08 PM

With the heat down in Havana Norte, that would have quite the aroma.

19. Utley's hair - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM

If that were to happen, watch out for the frogs, locusts and rivers of blood .

20. Proudly Canadian - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM

This just in! The rumor that Bobby Valentine is in line for Craig’s job has been denied by knowledgeable sources.

21. Kiwicricket - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:50 PM

UPDATE: Valentine denies knowing any knowledgeable sources. Remains candidate for Craigs job/Tiffany’s captor

22. MarinerMousse - Oct 13, 2010 at 1:46 AM

The Mariners would never hire Bobby V (IN MY OPINION) for two major reasons (both wrong)
    1.) Jack Z is not secure enough in his position after several 2010 screw-ups and would not want someone as strong as Bobby V, who is a sharp baseball person, on his tail.
    2.) Lincoln and Armstrong don’t want a manager with a strong will who just might ask for some reinforcements near the end of July, if the team is contention (reference… Lou Piniella in 2001) and be outspoken enough to reveal to the public that Lincoln and Armstrong are not real people, but rather Nintendo Avatars!

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (1938)