Oct 12, 2010, 5:16 PM EDT
Clocked at 85-87 miles per hour last week in his first game action since shoulder surgery, Chien-Ming Wang took the mound for the second time in an instructional league game today and upped his velocity to 89 mph.
Wang threw 17 pitches in two shutout innings, inducing four ground-ball outs. Soon to be a free agent after signing a one-year, $2 million deal last offseason, Wang is guaranteed at least $1.6 million via the arbitration process if the Nationals decide to tender him a contract.
However, according to Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com the Nationals will likely try to work out a new deal with Wang that would allow them to keep him around for less guaranteed money after he failed to throw a pitch this season.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 19
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 24
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 31
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (114)