Oct 12, 2010, 10:49 PM EDT
C.J. Wilson was up in the bullpen during the seventh inning, but Ron Washington is putting Cliff Lee back out there in the bottom of the eighth inning with a 3-1 lead.
Lee has allowed just one run on six hits over seven innings so far tonight, striking out nine and walking none. He has thrown 74 out of 100 pitches for strikes.
The left-hander has established an ALDS record by notching 19 strikeouts over his two starts during the series. The previous record was 16 by Randy Johnson (1995, 1997) and Mike Mussina (1997).
The strikeouts are just dandy, but Lee hasn’t done the Rays any favors during this series. He hasn’t walked a batter in his 14 innings of work.
Lee is slated to face Jason Bartlett, Ben Zobrist and Carl Crawford in the bottom of the eighth. Bartlett is 3-for-3 with a double on the night. Darren Oliver and Darren O’Day are up in the bullpen should he run into any trouble.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 15
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 25
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)