The Roberto Alomar divorce petition

Oct 12, 2010, 3:32 PM EDT

You’ll recall that Roberto Alomar made the news last week. Now ESPN’s The File blog has a copy of the divorce petition filed by Roberto Alomar’s wife (link goes to pdf file).

The interesting stuff begins at paragraph 19, where Alomar’s wife claims that, despite knowing he had HIV, Alomar “intentionally and in total disregard for the emotional and physical well-being of [his wife], continued to engage in sexual conduct with her.” She claims that Alomar lied about his status, telling her that he was clean.  She found out, she alleges, when she found HIV medication.

One point of clarification, because I got this wrong last week: Alomar’s wife has not contracted HIV. As she alleges, however, there can be a delay of onset, but as of now she’s testing negative.

There is nothing new in this report since last week, but seeing it in a sworn complaint like this does strike one a bit differently than merely seeing a news report.

1. Jonny5 - Oct 12, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I TOLD YOU!! GOLD DIGGER!!!

2. IdahoMariner - Oct 12, 2010 at 3:56 PM

between you and fiorentino, I am starting to feel a little ashamed that I have ever rooted for the Phillies in any situation.

3. Largebill - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Craig,
    Wrong picture with this story. Use Robbie in an Indians cap when he goes to Cooperstown. For this story a picture of him wearing a Mets uniform would have been more appropriate.

4. Mr. Heyward - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I see it states that after learning that he was HIV+ and were already married, that they “ceased having unprotected sex.” Hmmmm, wouldn’t you think the next sentence should read “at which time Mrs. Alomar ceased her relationship with Mr. Alomar and immediately filed for divorce along with a Criminal Complaint,” or something to that effect? This makes it seem like, not only did they stay married for awhile (obviously), but that he just threw a condom on and she was okay with it for at least a little while?!?!?!?!?!?

5. Michael - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Are HIV+ people not supposed to have sex? I’m not sure what you’re saying here.

6. Kiwicricket - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:10 PM

PETITION: “to-wit: in excess of FIFTEEN THOUSAND (15,000.000) DOLLARS”
    Someone is going to have to explain this on to me I’m afriad…..starting with the numerical system used in the States.

7. Kiwicricket - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Last time I dated, had unprotected sex with, discussed HIV tests, married, discussed HIV tests, continued to have unprotected sex, found HIV treatment medicine in the bathroom, had protected sex with them for an entire year, then tried to divorce……went a lot more smoothly.

8. Mr. Heyward - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Sorry, a little vague I guess. What I’m saying is the Petition reads as if she kept having sex with him (albeit w/ protection) after finding out he LIED about being HIV+. That’s not something you would forgive and the relationship would have immediately ceased. It doesn’t seem like that occurred, so hence it sounds fishy to me.

9. (Not That) Tom - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Alomar counters that he injected his wife daily with a concentrated dose of $180,000 to keep her HIV-free.

10. Bull Durham - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Second.

11. Bull Durham - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Ah yes, the great American pasttime. Oh, not baseball. I was referring to passing judgment about everyone and everything based on the barest of evidence. Why do we bother with an entire justice system when we can just submit to the matter to an internet forum and let the jury pass its instant (and always venomous) judgment?

12. Jonny5 - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Not that i really care because the Phillies already have plenty of fans. Btw, how is she not a gold digger? She married a ball player with Aids, knowing he had aids, and is now suing him after she knowingly married him with aids, for having aids. I know I can be somewhat opinionated but to take it out on the Phills? you all are lost.

13. (Not That) Tom - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:39 PM

The court of public opinion should never be confused with the actual justice system.

14. Jonny5 - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Are you that stupid? This is a blog. For opinions. I hereby strip you of the Name Bull Durham. You are to be known henceforth as Bill Dickham. This was the best i could do under short notice.

15. Jonny5 - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:43 PM

bingo. It’s about the $$$$. It always was about the $$$$.

16. Bull Durham - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Oh, well, since you had short notice, no offense taken. Please accept my apologies for citing your ignorant and ill-informed opinions. Continue with your constitutional right to express them in this, the haven for all ignorant and ill-informed opinions. I suppose my opinions will just have to find somewhere else to go.

17. Michael - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Dude, get it straight: she’s alleging that he’s HIV+. HIV is not AIDS.

18. Jonny5 - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:00 PM

No, don’t go, your opinions fit right in PERFECTLY. Plus Bill Dickham will be a fun name to use. You know I was only kidding right? Seriously though, don’t be sooo sensitive… I know, You weren’t kidding, you hate me. But that’s no reason to go away. Come back and tell me about it as you see fit. I can handle it.

19. Jonny5 - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Ohhh I’m sorry… I only gave you HIV, not Aids, why sooo mad?? kinda like that difference? I fail to see how it matters.

20. Mr. Heyward - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:16 PM

YES! I knew that comment would make it on here!

21. froggy - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

This site needs an ignore function.

22. Reflex - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM

This site needs an active moderator.

23. Tony A - Oct 12, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Nah, you’d spend too much effort trying to figure out who to iggy…

24. Tony A - Oct 12, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I nominate Old Gator…

25. Jonny5 - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Why do people need a button for everything these days?? I mean do you really NEED a button to ignore people? It seems easy enough to just ignore them without clicking a button. What is the world coming to these days?

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey