Oct 12, 2010, 1:01 PM EST
I the article, Jim Edmonds says “I’m done,” but that’s referring to the season. Would he still consider playing in 2011? “I’ll have to ask the wife about
that,” Edmonds said.
He also said that the idea of coming back would be more appealing if he could be a backup first baseman
somewhere. He said he’d “take a wait and see approach.” His GM — Walk Jocketty — said that he sounds like he wants to come back. But he also talks about how much pain he was during the season and how he didn’t enjoy being away from his family.
I suppose he really doesn’t know what he’s doing yet. I question, though, whether anyone is really going to give him an opportunity next year. It was one thing for a rested Jim Edmonds to return after a year off. But with the injuries he suffered this year? Really, who wants to take that chance?
I mean, sure, even with the messed up leg he would have been the first bat off the bench for the Braves during the NLDS — heck he may have gotten the start in left! — but most teams aren’t as desperate for warm bodies as that. No matter how good they used to be.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 12
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 57
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)