UPDATE: the Jim Joyce Twitter account is a hoax

Oct 12, 2010, 12:27 PM EDT

OK, fine, I was suckered. But it was kinda worth it.

UPDATE: No one has said so or anything (OK, now they have!) but just plain logic is causing most people to believe that the Joyce Twitter account is a fake. The avatar thing is just too nuts. And it’s not likely that that Major League Baseball would allow such a thing anyway.

How did I get suckered? Just lazy, I guess. Fake accounts tend to be over the top. That this one wasn’t probably threw me. I’m usually sharper and more skeptical than that, so who knows what my problem was. I suppose I was just caught up in a credulous moment this morning.

Still, there was something positive here. As I said a few minutes ago, I heard about this from secretly viewing Jon Heyman’s Twitter feed (shhh! don’t tell him!). Which means that someone is
pulling a prank on Heyman, because he believed it. I don’t approve of Twitter hoaxes, and I sure as hell don’t like being duped just like Heyman was, but I do
approve of people messing with Heyman, so consider me conflicted
here.

11:35 A.M.: Here’s something I wasn’t expecting: infamous-then-noble umpire Jim Joyce started up a Twitter account late last night. The best part: at first his avatar was a screen-cap of his call at first base in the Galarraga game, showing that Joyce has either a good sense of humor or a great perspective or both.  He changed it, though, because people thought it was one of the many hoax celebrity (such as he is) Twitter accounts.  This is legit though. (Update: rather, it probably isn’t)

If I had to guess it will soon go quiet, like so many Twitter accounts do. At the very least by the beginning of next year because I bet Major League Baseball doesn’t want umpires on Twitter.  I kind of hope not, though.  Anything that cuts through the filters and static between newsmakers and the public is a good thing.

1. gerryb323 - Oct 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM

That was fast. Link doesn’t work already!

2. lar @ wezen-ball - Oct 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM

The link doesn’t work, Craig. It needs to be this: http://twitter.com/Jim_JoyceMLB
    I guess the “#!” is a remnant of the new twitter. Can you tell us what makes you feel it’s legit? Did you talk to someone who spoke with Joyce directly, maybe?

3. pcrm - Oct 12, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Yeah, I’d say it’s not him. Most of the pages he’s signed up to follow are Detroit Tigers ones.

4. JCD - Oct 12, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Seriously, THAT’S his avatar?? And you’re okay with that?? Wonder if the pitcher who got absolutely robbed finds it that amusing.

5. Mr. Heyward - Oct 12, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Craig, in the appreciation of transparency, I must confess that I am not actually Jason Heyward. My apologies for any confusion that may have transpired due to this misrepresentation.

6. birdmancometh - Oct 12, 2010 at 1:39 PM

WTF!?

7. birdmancometh - Oct 12, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Next your going to tell me that Chris Fiorentino’s family doesn’t own a box-wine company.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3169)