Oct 12, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
I guess it’s not odd that someone is selling the corked bat that got Sammy Sosa in hot water several years ago. I’m just surprised that it’s former teammate Mike Remlinger. I mean, did Sosa let him have it, or what?
Last year Remlinger said he contacted Sosa to ask if the retired
slugger wanted the broken barrel. An assistant relayed the message to
Sosa, who said he wanted the bat, according to Remlinger. But he never
heard back from Sosa’s camp again.
“At that point in time I
was just going to give it to Sammy because I figured it was his to do
with what he wanted,” Remlinger said. “Then when I didn’t hear back from
him I figured it was mine to do with what I wanted.”
What is it with relief pitchers stealing corked bats? Remember Jason Grimsley and Albert Belle?
Anyway, Remlinger’s story is a good one if for no other reason than he describes a pretty awful cork-job by Sosa. Apparently the bat was drilled from the barrel all the way down past the label. The odds of that thing cracking open were likely not long.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)