Oct 12, 2010, 9:35 PM EDT
Wild sequence in the top of the fourth inning.
Nelson Cruz didn’t hustle out of the batter’s box on a fly ball to distant left center field, only to see the ball hit off the wall and roll around on the warning track. Cruz should have been standing on third base, but because he was too busy admiring his handiwork, he was only able to make it to second.
Surprising everyone, Cruz then stole third base — with two outs, mind you — and Kelly Shoppach airmailed the throw into left field, allowing him to score. Shoppach could be punching his ticket out of town tonight, by the way.
And, oh boy, Cliff Lee struck out the side in the bottom of the fourth inning. It’s currently 2-1 as we move to the top of the fifth inning.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 6
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 35
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)