Oct 12, 2010, 9:35 PM EST
Wild sequence in the top of the fourth inning.
Nelson Cruz didn’t hustle out of the batter’s box on a fly ball to distant left center field, only to see the ball hit off the wall and roll around on the warning track. Cruz should have been standing on third base, but because he was too busy admiring his handiwork, he was only able to make it to second.
Surprising everyone, Cruz then stole third base — with two outs, mind you — and Kelly Shoppach airmailed the throw into left field, allowing him to score. Shoppach could be punching his ticket out of town tonight, by the way.
And, oh boy, Cliff Lee struck out the side in the bottom of the fourth inning. It’s currently 2-1 as we move to the top of the fifth inning.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (120)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)