Oct 12, 2010, 9:35 PM EDT
Wild sequence in the top of the fourth inning.
Nelson Cruz didn’t hustle out of the batter’s box on a fly ball to distant left center field, only to see the ball hit off the wall and roll around on the warning track. Cruz should have been standing on third base, but because he was too busy admiring his handiwork, he was only able to make it to second.
Surprising everyone, Cruz then stole third base — with two outs, mind you — and Kelly Shoppach airmailed the throw into left field, allowing him to score. Shoppach could be punching his ticket out of town tonight, by the way.
And, oh boy, Cliff Lee struck out the side in the bottom of the fourth inning. It’s currently 2-1 as we move to the top of the fifth inning.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11