Oct 12, 2010, 9:14 AM EDT
I have no idea if the bidding for Liverpool FC is actually able to be reopened — the board did approve the Red Sox’ bid after all — but a Singapore businessman has just offered 20 million pounds more for the team than John Henry’s bunch wants to pay. I’m a bit rusty with my cash-conversion, but I’m pretty sure that’s, like, a billion dollars difference in U.S. money.
I know very little about English soccer, but people who do know a bit about it tell me that the salaries, the extravagance and the overall financial structure of the EPL make Major League Baseball owners look like models of financial responsibility and restraint. I’ll be curious to see if the Red Sox get into a bidding war with this guy. Or, if their bid is already locked in, if they spend like other wacko international soccer owners do.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)