Someone topped the Red Sox' bid for Liverpool Football Club

Oct 12, 2010, 9:14 AM EDT

I have no idea if the bidding for Liverpool FC is actually able to be reopened — the board did approve the Red Sox’ bid after all — but a Singapore businessman has just offered 20 million pounds more for the team than John Henry’s bunch wants to pay.  I’m a bit rusty with my cash-conversion, but I’m pretty sure that’s, like, a billion dollars difference in U.S. money.

I know very little about English soccer, but people who do know a bit about it tell me that the salaries, the extravagance and the overall financial structure of the EPL make Major League Baseball owners look like models of financial responsibility and restraint.  I’ll be curious to see if the Red Sox get into a bidding war with this guy. Or, if their bid is already locked in, if they spend like other wacko international soccer owners do.

1. BC - Oct 12, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I confess. It was me.

2. SadPandaRevolt - Oct 12, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Either way, they’ll never walk alone. (10 Internet points to anyone who gets that reference)

3. birdmancometh - Oct 12, 2010 at 9:27 AM

They don’t much like Yank owners over there. Although, Liverpool is somewhat similar to the Sox. Always seems to be one step below the big boys. I know the Sox won a couple, but over history they are a step below the Yankees. Same is true with Liverpool being below United.

4. birdmancometh - Oct 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM

You can keep the points, but thats a Liverpool song. A fellow soccer fan huh?

5. BC - Oct 12, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Maybe the Red Sox can completely confuse things by offering 150 billion yen or 70 trillion lira or something.

6. josh - Oct 12, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Usually when boards approve purchases, they close bidding.

7. mcsnide - Oct 12, 2010 at 10:54 AM

If only they still had David Wells. They could offer to throw him into the deal – I’m pretty sure he’s in the 20 million pound range.

8. APBA Guy - Oct 12, 2010 at 11:09 AM

According to Sky Sports News, the Murdoch sports outlet in the UK (great anchor teams, however) the Asian bidder is Plan B in case New England Sports Ventures walk away, which they could do if certain penalties accrue to Liverpool during the process of divesting from the Tom Hicks ownership. Asian bidders for EPL teams in the recent past have fallen into two broad categories: 1) unable to prove their source of funds, or 2) shady backgrounds (see Portsmouth, or most notably Taksin Sinawatra of Man City).
    The Liverpool saga goes is at the High Court this week, with the RBS able to call due about $ 400M on Hicks/Gillett this Friday. The proposed NESV takover has dominated the sports news there for a week.

9. Tony A - Oct 12, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I’m a little confused, what part of New England is Liverpool in? Seriously, doesn’t this make it a little too obvious that’s it’s all about the cash, not regional loyalty? Maybe it’s just a case of turnabout being fair play, an American company raping some other nation’s populace for a change of pace…(still pissed at BP, a bunch)…

10. Kiwicricket - Oct 12, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Depends which decade really. Liverpool was an unstoppable force in the 80’s and now things have changed a bit.

11. Kiwicricket - Oct 12, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Nice work singling out a specific incident, and making it a nation debate. Care to take a guess as to how many American companies/government have dabbled in other lands far yonder?

1. H. Pence (2155)