Oct 12, 2010, 3:07 PM EST
The average price for a single game ticket at Dodger Stadium will go up 40 cents for 2011. The average price for a season ticket will go down 20 cents. Some seats will have large premiums placed on them. Others, discounts. It’s all rather convoluted, really.
My guess is that the convoluted nature of the pricing changes mean that, once everything is said and done, will effectively constitute an overall increase. If not, they’d announce a “freeze” or a price reduction or something in order to get PR bang for their buck. And an increase is fine, I guess. I’m not a big Frank McCourt fan, but he’s got a business to run, and if he can increase revenue without gutting the brand, go for it.
But it certainly would be hard to swallow a price increase given the state of the team right now. At least if they don’t do something to generate some excitement this winter. The Dodgers have always drawn. But there’s no law of nature making this inevitable. If it’s more Jamey Carroll-level “splashes” and Vicente Padilla extensions between now and February, people are going to be turned off.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)