Oct 12, 2010, 3:07 PM EDT
The average price for a single game ticket at Dodger Stadium will go up 40 cents for 2011. The average price for a season ticket will go down 20 cents. Some seats will have large premiums placed on them. Others, discounts. It’s all rather convoluted, really.
My guess is that the convoluted nature of the pricing changes mean that, once everything is said and done, will effectively constitute an overall increase. If not, they’d announce a “freeze” or a price reduction or something in order to get PR bang for their buck. And an increase is fine, I guess. I’m not a big Frank McCourt fan, but he’s got a business to run, and if he can increase revenue without gutting the brand, go for it.
But it certainly would be hard to swallow a price increase given the state of the team right now. At least if they don’t do something to generate some excitement this winter. The Dodgers have always drawn. But there’s no law of nature making this inevitable. If it’s more Jamey Carroll-level “splashes” and Vicente Padilla extensions between now and February, people are going to be turned off.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 0
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 51
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 77
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 65
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)