Oct 12, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Tony La Russa has not yet made a decision on whether he’ll return as the Cardinals’ manager in 2011.
According to Goold the Cardinals “made a formal offer last week” and La Russa previously indicated that he’d have an answer by early this week, but at this point there’s no timetable for an official announcement.
The assumption seems to be that La Russa will come back, with Goold noting that he “has given several indications that he would return unless hearing something from the front office about management’s approach or the makeup of his coaching staff that changed his mind.”
If he does return, expect plenty of questions about whether or not he can co-exist with center fielder Colby Rasmus after the pair reportedly had several disputes during the season.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)