Two must-click links: Jewish Indians, Indian Indians and the Tomahawk Chop

Oct 12, 2010, 2:32 PM EST

I spent the early portion of my mid-afternoon lull reading a couple of good articles.

• A profile of Indians great Al Rosen.  It details the anti-semitism he and other Jewish ballplayers faced back in the day, as well as the more benign but just as potentially career-limiting stereotype that Jews simply couldn’t be good athletes. Rosen is 86 now, and sits for a nice interview with Bill Lubinger of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
  • A nice takedown of Chief Wahoo and the Tomahawk Chop by Emma Span over at Bronx Banter.  I’ve tread in these waters before, and I agree with Emma on the two key points: (1) just because you wear an Indians cap or do the Tomahawk Chop at Braves games doesn’t mean you’re a racist. Indeed, you’re likely not; but (2) both Wahoo and the Chop need to go.

If you disagree with that, check out the graphics in Emma’s article, then circle back to the Rosen interview, rinse and repeat until you start to get it.

1. Mr. Heyward - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Eloquently put, you pinko commie liberal dendrophilliac (I mean that in a nice way).

2. Jonny5 - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Heyward, you are one of my favorites here. Wait, you aren’t Jason? What is this??? My circuits are frying… I can’t compute. Ok that was dumb name reference… I sir, am part Italian. My grandmother was very italian, Her father and mother moved to this country to better their lives which they did. Anyway if i had a dollar for every time i heard an Italian say Dago, I’d be rich. but anyway, thanks for the compliment, even if it wasn’t one. ;>p OK, now what part of Jersey are you in?

3. Kiwicricket - Oct 12, 2010 at 4:58 PM

I’m still amused you said you took his wife to Vegas.

4. Flyinghigh - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Flipper should sue the Dolphins and so it goes. Anyway I don’t hear Chief Wahoo complaining because he is making a good buck.

5. Jonny5 - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:06 PM

I remember that. It was hilarious too! Well for me it was. I guess that’s why it’s gone? I suck. Louie is the new one, thanks.

6. Mr. Heyward - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Heh, I live in Chicago. My parents grew up in the dirrty jerz. My Dad’s family is 100% Dago (w/ some extra Dago Sicilian in there too). My Pops hailed from West Orange. In other news, I telll ya, HBT has got me using all sorts of fun words, I’ll list them here:

1. Pinko (thanks Fiorentino);
    2. Dago (not even sure it’s spelled that way);
    3. Douchenozzle (my personal fave);
    4. Fioren-douche-o (my fave for today and only works in HBT);
    5. Dried-up stinky dicklicker (just a fun one from Sandler CD from back in the day)

7. Mr. Heyward - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Craig thanks again for posting this little bit of news. I’ve done literally nothing but argue with people on the internet all afternoon as a result. I’m not sure if I feel bad about it either. I just got paid for hours of jabbing a douchenozzle repeatedly in the face with words. As always, much appreciated.

In respect to unhealthy debate, constant inaccuracies by commentors (myself included) and ignorance prevailing every time, here’s a fun link for all of us to peruse in reference to Conrad’s gaffe. I think we can all appreciate it. Based on true events:

8. Citi Field Urinal - Oct 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Jesus, you are a whiny little man.
    You’re like blog commenter HIV.

9. Utley's hair - Oct 12, 2010 at 6:18 PM

No. They’re just forced to live in widely impoverished camps that resemble third-world countries after having been persecuted and killed throughout the last few hundred years. But I guess they are less and less viewed as killers and savages to be expunged.

10. Utley's hair - Oct 12, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I find it funny (strange, not haha) that people arguing that mascots/logos/traditions/etc. are an obnoxious slap at ethnic groups are being painted as racist. Liberal, yes to a point. Pinko? I have no idea how that even enters into it at all.

11. Utley's hair - Oct 12, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Hey. I take offense to that. It’s not pinko commie, it’s commie pinko. Everybody knows that.

12. El Bravo - Oct 12, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Dude everyone knows the hair on Utley’s head is liberal. Locks as fun-loving and free as those are grown from hippie roots.

13. Utley's hair - Oct 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM

But sometimes I feel oppressed by whatever product is smeared on me–though admittedly, it is smeared quite liberally.

14. JBerardi - Oct 12, 2010 at 9:20 PM

“And “liberal” is being bandied about as if it is a curse and an insult. I am a proud liberal. That term does not insult me. Call me that however much you want. I’ll wear that badge with honor.”
    Amen, brother.

15. Tony A - Oct 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM

But I can dream, can’t I?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4999)