Oct 12, 2010, 2:32 PM EDT
I spent the early portion of my mid-afternoon lull reading a couple of good articles.
- A profile of Indians great Al Rosen. It details the anti-semitism he and other Jewish ballplayers faced back in the day, as well as the more benign but just as potentially career-limiting stereotype that Jews simply couldn’t be good athletes. Rosen is 86 now, and sits for a nice interview with Bill Lubinger of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- A nice takedown of Chief Wahoo and the Tomahawk Chop by Emma Span over at Bronx Banter. I’ve tread in these waters before, and I agree with Emma on the two key points: (1) just because you wear an Indians cap or do the Tomahawk Chop at Braves games doesn’t mean you’re a racist. Indeed, you’re likely not; but (2) both Wahoo and the Chop need to go.
If you disagree with that, check out the graphics in Emma’s article, then circle back to the Rosen interview, rinse and repeat until you start to get it.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 31
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 26
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 9
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games