Oct 13, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
A.J. Burnett went unused in the ALDS, but the Yankees will need him to make one start in the ALCS. He hasn’t pitched since October 2, so to shake some of the rust off Burnett is scheduled to throw four or five innings in a simulated game today.
Javier Vazquez and Chad Gaudin will also get some work in after being left off the ALDS roster, but Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger notes that Game 1 starter CC Sabathia “will stick to throwing extra side sessions” to keep sharp during the long layoff.
Francisco Cervelli caught Burnett in 25 of his 33 starts this season, but the Yankees have given no indication whether he’ll be behind the plate instead of Jorge Posada when Burnett takes the mound against the Rangers. Much has been made of Burnett and Posada not working well together and when paired up the battery has a 5.61 ERA in 24 starts.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)