Oct 13, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
A.J. Burnett went unused in the ALDS, but the Yankees will need him to make one start in the ALCS. He hasn’t pitched since October 2, so to shake some of the rust off Burnett is scheduled to throw four or five innings in a simulated game today.
Javier Vazquez and Chad Gaudin will also get some work in after being left off the ALDS roster, but Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger notes that Game 1 starter CC Sabathia “will stick to throwing extra side sessions” to keep sharp during the long layoff.
Francisco Cervelli caught Burnett in 25 of his 33 starts this season, but the Yankees have given no indication whether he’ll be behind the plate instead of Jorge Posada when Burnett takes the mound against the Rangers. Much has been made of Burnett and Posada not working well together and when paired up the battery has a 5.61 ERA in 24 starts.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)