Oct 13, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
A.J. Burnett went unused in the ALDS, but the Yankees will need him to make one start in the ALCS. He hasn’t pitched since October 2, so to shake some of the rust off Burnett is scheduled to throw four or five innings in a simulated game today.
Javier Vazquez and Chad Gaudin will also get some work in after being left off the ALDS roster, but Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger notes that Game 1 starter CC Sabathia “will stick to throwing extra side sessions” to keep sharp during the long layoff.
Francisco Cervelli caught Burnett in 25 of his 33 starts this season, but the Yankees have given no indication whether he’ll be behind the plate instead of Jorge Posada when Burnett takes the mound against the Rangers. Much has been made of Burnett and Posada not working well together and when paired up the battery has a 5.61 ERA in 24 starts.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 35
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)