Oct 13, 2010, 5:42 AM EDT
Rangers 5, Rays 1: Cliff Lee was ridiculous again, striking out 11, walking no one and topping it all off by rescuing those Chilean miners (note: I had a few last night so I may have this mixed up). It’s why the Rangers got him. It’s why everyone else covets him. It just blows my mind that he’s played on four teams in the course of two seasons. Yeah, I know there were reasons for him being moved each time he was moved, but if he was my pitcher I would hide him someplace and only allowe him to show himself for opposition domination purposes. Then he has to go back into safe keeping.
A nice season for the Rays ends badly. At times — especially early in the season — they played like the best team in baseball. At other times — middle of the summer; this series — they looked like a good but not great team. The dominant narrative of their winter will be the inevitable departure of Carlos Pena and Carl Crawford. I think they’ll survive those losses, but most people will cry doom. And then, once again, the Rays will surprise everyone.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 4
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 12
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 23
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)