Carl Crawford: "I don't want to leave"

Oct 13, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT

Here’s Carl Crawford, talking to the Tampa Tribune after last night’s game:

“I
don’t want to leave. Everybody knows that. I like it
here, and I’ve made that known and wish something was able to be worked
out.”

Note the past tense.

Not that anyone on the planet thinks that the Rays would ever shell out for Crawford. Nor should anyone be surprised that Crawford said, right after an emotional series, that he wishes he could stay. I’ve never seen anything bad written about the guy. He is probably being totally genuine in wishing something could be worked out to keep him in the only major league town he’s ever known.

But that, unfortunately, is not how it works most of the time.

1. lardin - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Its really simple Carl, If you don’t want to leave, don’t. Sign a deal that both you and the Rays can live with. Swallow a little bit of pride and ego and take less money. Then when the MLBPA comes to you and tells you to take the highest offer, tell them to get lost.
    Otherwise your comments don’t mean anything….

2. murd - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Everybody would love to see him stay, but you can’t fault him for taking more money. His career is one that could end any day due to an on- or off-field injury. He has a chance at 30 years old to make enough money to support his grandkids for their whole life. I say take it while you can get it because you never know when you won’t be able to get it anymore.

3. lardin - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I am not against that thought process… But, if he really wants to stay, he can always take less money and stay. Thats all I am saying

4. Detroit Michael - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:46 AM

If any player takes less money to stay in a particular city, he should negoatiate for a no-trade clause too. Otherwise half a year into the contract the team can trade him and the whole point of accepting less money was nullified.

5. The Baseball Idiot - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Why does he need to support his grandkids for their entire lives? How about they go out and learn the value of work and what it means to make a living. You know, not be a lazy bum and actually work for a lviing. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    Crawford’s made a lot of money already. No matter how much or how little he signs for, he’s still going to make more in 1 year than I’ll ever made in a lifetime. He can sign for less money and still be rich beyond his wildest dreams. If he wants to stay, he can.\
    If he leaves, its about the money. Its his right, but he should stop pretending like it isn’t.

6. lardin - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Are you Bronson Arroyo’s agent? He should have taken your advice…

7. John_Michael - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Take the money.

8. MK - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Very true, Detroit Michael. On a lesser scale…
    “I signed at a pretty good discount,” Arroyo said in a conference call with reporters. “They felt going year-to-year would be more beneficial for me financially. … They felt like I was leaving close to $4 million on the table. But I could be in a car wreck tomorrow. So, at this point in my career, it’s obviously benefiting me with a little bit of security.”
    This was on 1/19/06. Arroyo was traded to the Reds on 3/20/06 for Wily Mo Pena.

9. MK - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Dammit…you beat me to the punch.

10. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. Any one of us would take the money…especially to leave a team with a small payroll like the Rays. What would happen if he took less to stay with the Rays? They would end up not being able to pay anyone else and they would lose other guys. Let them stay the young small-market team and go to a team who can afford your services…and who can also afford to keep their guys and sign other guys.

11. IdahoMariner - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I wouldn’t place too much emphasis on his use of the past tense. I can’t count how many people I encounter on a daily basis who have trouble with using the appropriate tense when expressing themselves.

12. zac - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Obviously, Crawford doesn’t have to make enough money to support his grandkids. But if you had the opportunity to make enough money that you could ensure your family would comfortable for a long time and literally the only requirement was moving, wouldn’t you?

13. murd - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Wasn’t advocating anybody being lazy bums, I was just using an example to illustrate how much money is potentially on the table if he leaves. And I don’t think he’s crying or anything, or even pretending it’s not about the money. I think he’s saying that if the Rays can pay him what other teams can, he’d prefer to stay, if not he’s going to take the raise.

14. murd - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:54 PM

My first thought when I read the post.

15. The Baseball Idiot - Oct 13, 2010 at 1:05 PM

No, I wouldn’t. I would pay for thier schooling. I would buy them a good car. I might help them with a down payment on a house. But any money they got would be left in trust for them at around the age of 50, after they got out in the world and learn what its like to have to earn money, and what it really means, not to give them free ride in life.
    They wouldn’t starve, but they wouldn’t be eating cavier for breakfast either.

16. Johnnyb10 - Oct 13, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I would never rip any ball player for taking as much as he can get. It’s the American way.

17. Mac - Oct 13, 2010 at 1:39 PM

It seems to me that a lot of people forget that the shoe was already on the other foot here. Tampa Bay has enjoyed Crawford’s services at below-market prices for several years now. Sure, this is no different than with any other team, but the fact remains that Carl Crawford would be WAY richer right now if he were declared a free agent four years ago.
    The Rays could have elected to pay him market value, or even closer-to-market value for his services in recognition of what he meant to the team: They did not. I’m not suggesting the Rays acted improperly per se, only noting that they certainly could have been more generous.
    It amazes me how self-righteous people get about athlete compensation, especially in baseball. People want to tell Crawford…”You have just been underpaid for your entire baseball career by a team and a location to which you had no previous loyalty. We now expect you to continue to live away from home and continue to be underpaid now that you’ve made some friends on the team and we are competitive. Failing to do these things will obviously prove that you are a selfish money-grubber.”
    What do these people think, rich white owner is more deserving of that money?

18. Tony A - Oct 13, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Brainwashing? Seriously, I think CC should go for the best combo of money and championship possibilities that will be available to him. Unfortunately, that will probably be the Jankees, whom I hate…
    Unfortunately for the Rays, I think that with or without CC, when you add in the big TV contract the Rangers signed, their window of opportunity for a championship may have closed or be in the process of slamming shut, so they’re out of the running on both counts…

19. Professor Twain - Oct 13, 2010 at 3:02 PM

It’s about more than money. With the Rays, Carl Crawford’s style of baseball is supported and appreciated. He has largely had a green light to steal whenever he wanted to, to play his game. The Rays have also let him stay in left field (although he would be great in center) and not pressed him to bat first (he doesn’t like hitting there). If Carl goes to a team that runs a more conservative offense, he won’t be able to live his dream and play to his best.
    He has also enjoyed the friendly media and been a fan favorite in Tampa Bay. He is a soft spoken guy who wouldn’t be at his best in cities with overwrought fans and aggressive media, like Boston and New York.
    The fans of Tampa Bay have had the joy of seeing a graceful athlete and gracious man at the height of his skills. I hope he lands somewhere that is well suited to his talents and temperament.

20. JBerardi - Oct 13, 2010 at 3:37 PM

It’s really easy to say that. It’s a lot harder to work your entire life at something, and then forfeit half your potential earnings because, hey, some fat drunken jackass in the bleachers might get his feelings hurt otherwise.

I’d also like to point out that the player’s union doesn’t push for higher salaries just because they’re dicks, as so many fans would have you believe. It’s much more about increasing the pay scale for everyone than it is about making sure that Crawford has a nicer boat. Players are taught (correctly, imo) to view their contract negotiations through that lens; meaning that when they take less money to stay where they are, they’re also taking money out of everyone else’s pockets, including players who aren’t getting massive, multi-year deals. I’m sure Joe Mauer personally be quite happy to play in Minnesota for a mere ten million a year, but he needs his contract to be at least somewhere close to what he could get on the open market, or else he’s just artificially deflating the value of baseball talent.

21. Pisano - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:58 PM

” I don’t want to leave ” Of course you don’t , not until some team offers you 15 + mil. a year . Cry me a river Carl . You’ll run to the highest bidder ,I only hope it’s not the Yankees .

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4704)