Oct 13, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, maybe Wren was right. Gonzalez won the Sporting News’ Manager of the Year Award. Damn. I really wish he was deluded about that. It would have made for great blog fodder, basically, for every single game Gonzalez managed.
3:00 P.M.: Fredi Gonzalez was formally announced as the Braves new manager a few minutes ago. I think the press conference is actually still going on. It’s been fun. And while I’m not going to change my mind that Gonzalez is the best guy for the job, this gives me a bit of pause: Braves GM Frank Wren has twice referred to Fredi Gonzalez as having won the Manager of the Year Award with the Marlins a couple of years ago.
Except . . . that was Joe Girardi, not Gonzalez.
I guess Girardi hasn’t gotten a contract extension from the Yankees yet and could still be lured away if that’s who Wren really wanted, but really, that would be rather awkward now that they made Gonzalez’s jersey and everything.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)