Oct 13, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, maybe Wren was right. Gonzalez won the Sporting News’ Manager of the Year Award. Damn. I really wish he was deluded about that. It would have made for great blog fodder, basically, for every single game Gonzalez managed.
3:00 P.M.: Fredi Gonzalez was formally announced as the Braves new manager a few minutes ago. I think the press conference is actually still going on. It’s been fun. And while I’m not going to change my mind that Gonzalez is the best guy for the job, this gives me a bit of pause: Braves GM Frank Wren has twice referred to Fredi Gonzalez as having won the Manager of the Year Award with the Marlins a couple of years ago.
Except . . . that was Joe Girardi, not Gonzalez.
I guess Girardi hasn’t gotten a contract extension from the Yankees yet and could still be lured away if that’s who Wren really wanted, but really, that would be rather awkward now that they made Gonzalez’s jersey and everything.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 7
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 56
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 23
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 26
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (98)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)