Oct 13, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, maybe Wren was right. Gonzalez won the Sporting News’ Manager of the Year Award. Damn. I really wish he was deluded about that. It would have made for great blog fodder, basically, for every single game Gonzalez managed.
3:00 P.M.: Fredi Gonzalez was formally announced as the Braves new manager a few minutes ago. I think the press conference is actually still going on. It’s been fun. And while I’m not going to change my mind that Gonzalez is the best guy for the job, this gives me a bit of pause: Braves GM Frank Wren has twice referred to Fredi Gonzalez as having won the Manager of the Year Award with the Marlins a couple of years ago.
Except . . . that was Joe Girardi, not Gonzalez.
I guess Girardi hasn’t gotten a contract extension from the Yankees yet and could still be lured away if that’s who Wren really wanted, but really, that would be rather awkward now that they made Gonzalez’s jersey and everything.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 26
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)