Deep Thoughts: Did Frank Wren really mean to hire Fredi Gonzalez?

Oct 13, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT

UPDATE:  OK, maybe Wren was right. Gonzalez won the Sporting News’ Manager of the Year Award. Damn. I really wish he was deluded about that. It would have made for great blog fodder, basically, for every single game Gonzalez managed.

3:00 P.M.: Fredi Gonzalez was formally announced as the Braves new manager a few minutes ago. I think the press conference is actually still going on. It’s been fun. And while I’m not going to change my mind that Gonzalez is the best guy for the job, this gives me a bit of pause: Braves GM Frank Wren has twice referred to Fredi Gonzalez as having won the Manager of the Year Award with the Marlins a couple of years ago.

Except . . . that was Joe Girardi, not Gonzalez.

I guess Girardi hasn’t gotten a contract extension from the Yankees yet and could still be lured away if that’s who Wren really wanted, but really, that would be rather awkward now that they made Gonzalez’s jersey and everything.

1. Mr. Heyward - Oct 13, 2010 at 3:14 PM

I’m scay-yared….

2. giocatore4 - Oct 13, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Craig,
    Fredi won NL Manager of the Year as given by the Sporting News after 2008.

3. Mr. Heyward - Oct 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM

trepidation still remains

4. Opie - Oct 13, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Craig: I’m glad you “updated” this, but man that’s just brutal………you should know a little more about baseball shouldn’t you?
    Pendleton is no longer the hitting coach, but has replaced Hubbard as 1st base coach. So, who’s the next hitting coach going to be? Is Don Baylor available?!?

5. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 13, 2010 at 5:08 PM

It’s not about not knowing baseball. When a guy says “Manager of the Year” you assume it was the BBWAA award, not Sporting News.

6. quintjs - Oct 13, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I am with you Craig, he won A manager of the year award, not THE.

7. Old Gator - Oct 13, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Be afraid. Be very afraid. This guy handles pitchers and substitutions the way the Indian in Bronco Billy handled rattlesnakes.

8. Old Gator - Oct 13, 2010 at 6:50 PM

That’s right. You win THE Manager of the Year Award for taking a team with the native potential to win 80 games and winning 87 with them. You win the Sporting News Manager of the Year Award for taking a team capable of winning 90 games and winning 87 with them.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3763)