Josh Hamilton gets to be part of the celebration

Oct 13, 2010, 8:24 AM EDT

It’s been widely reported that Rangers’ center fielder Josh Hamilton, a recovering drug addict and alcoholic, does not partake in the champagne and beer showers. Smart move on his part. Great move on his team’s part? Having a ginger ale shower just for Hamilton after last night’s win. The pic on the right is cool, but much cooler video of it can be seen here.

And yes, in this instance, I temporarily suspend my “boozy celebrations after a Division Series win are bush league” rule. It’s my rule and I can do whatever I want with it.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 13, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Especially since it was the first ever series win for the Rangers(and unfortunately, it is probably their last chance to celebrate this season). Plus, it looks like Hamilton has cleaned up his life and he deserves it. Very touching to see the guys shower him with Ginger Ale…good stuff.

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Oct 13, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Gotta admit, that’s mighty cool of Hamilton’s teammates.

3. brad lidge's mole - Oct 13, 2010 at 8:46 AM

I love this.

4. Mr. Furious - Oct 13, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Yep, good on the Rangers for respecting not only Hamilton’s wishes, but all the work that he’s put into putting his life back together since hitting rock bottom. And good on Hamilton for making it all the way back. Staying clean will always be a struggle for him, but having people like this around him will help a great deal.

5. mcsnide - Oct 13, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I was rooting for Tampa in this series, but after seeing this, I’m glad Texas won.

6. Matt S. - Oct 13, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Once in a while you get stories like this that restore faith in humanity.

7. Simon DelMonte - Oct 13, 2010 at 9:09 AM

It gets harder and harder not to root for Hamilton and the Rangers. This is just utterly awesome and cool and so on.

8. BC - Oct 13, 2010 at 9:53 AM

That’s cool. Good job, Rangers!

9. Jonny5 - Oct 13, 2010 at 10:15 AM

It’s really nice to see his teamates do the right thing this time. First time around he was kinda left out. They are the feel good team of the season for sure.

10. Buffalo - Oct 13, 2010 at 10:19 AM

And they did evenutally have Beer & Champagne showers, just Ginger Ale first for him! Everybody wins!!!

11. Trevor B - Oct 13, 2010 at 10:44 AM

That is probably the best example of a team being a TEAM I’ve seen in a long time.

Apparantly they even gave Ron Washington a little tattered baggie of powder sugar, too.

12. imabigdog - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:02 AM

@ TREVOR B – Your so wrong (LMAF).

13. Rob Zane - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I’ll be happy to buy the ginger ale for the next two celebrations this postseason!

14. Travis W - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I think it’s great that his teammates support him not only on the field, but in his life, too. Hamilton is not, and no one should be, an island. Bravo!
    As for your rule about Divisional Series celebrations…I’d say teams that have been out of the playoffs for the previous 5 seasons or more should go for it! It is a big step up and worth celebrating. Now the Yankees’ annual or biennial champagne shower for Divisional wins..I’ll agree that is bush league or just retarded.

15. Utley's hair - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:17 AM

That’s an awesome thing to do for your team–if not league–MVP. And to those on this blog–you know who you are–and elsewhere who ridiculed the idea of something like this, was that so difficult?

16. The Great Dane - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:25 AM

So his teammates decided not to behave like insensitive jerks………………good on them, I suppose. But why do should we hear about it all the time?

17. David - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:47 AM

No need to buy ginger ale for the next celebration. The Yankees can all drink the hard stuff. ;-)

18. Philly Bill - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:52 AM

What a class idea that the Rangers came up with regarding Josh Hamilton’s celebration. May we all give credit to whoever came up with it. There really is some sanity and thoughtfulnes in sports

19. John_Michael - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:55 AM

In related news, the Rays were happy to recycle the liquids to water their cyber crops.

20. John_Michael - Oct 13, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Wait, that doesn’t make sense. I want a take-back.

21. Utley's hair - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Frank Robinson says no.

22. IdahoMariner - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:45 PM

This makes me happy. I love this. Thank you, Rangers, for being decent people.

23. IdahoMariner - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:48 PM

ok, now I’ve seen the video and that is really, truly awesome.

24. RichardInBigD - Oct 13, 2010 at 1:58 PM

You’re still an anti-social idiot lacking any sense of humanity or decorum. Did you grow up on top of a nuclear waste dump site in New Mexico, away from civilization?

25. Ick McWang - Oct 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM

As a rays fan I am bummed we lost but I hope the Rangers go all the way. They honestly remind me of the 08 Rays in that they have no real postseason experience outside of Lee and no one expects them to do anything, but I think they will beat New York. They have the bats to do it, unlike Tampa Bay

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3678)