Oct 13, 2010, 10:16 AM EDT
Because of an ankle injury Magglio Ordonez fell short of the 540 plate appearances needed to trigger his $15 million option for 2011, so the 37-year-old outfielder will be a free agent after six seasons in Detroit.
Earlier this week Ordonez told Venezuelan reporter Augusto Cardenas that he wants to stay with the Tigers after hitting .303/.378/.474 with 12 homers in 84 games this season:
I want to stay in Detroit, obviously. I have my friends, my teammates. I know the organization has been very good to me and the fans have treated me great. I think there’s a great chance to stay in Detroit, but let’s see what happens.
Ordonez also told Cardenas that his ankle is about 90 percent healthy and he hopes to play winter ball in Venezuela for the first time since 2002.
Because he’s a Type A free agent the Tigers could offer arbitration to Ordonez and set themselves up to receive compensatory draft picks if he leaves, but the risk is that Ordonez could also simply accept the arbitration and force them into an expensive one-year deal. He remains an impact hitter, but can’t be counted on for more than 130 games at this point and is a liability defensively.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 11
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 26
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 50
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)