Oct 13, 2010, 1:19 PM EST
After initially indicating that they wouldn’t send Bryce Harper to the Arizona Fall League, the Nationals have changed their mind. According to general manager Mike Rizzo, the No. 1 overall pick will play for the Scottsdale Scorpions “effective immediately.”
Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that Harper will be on the Scorpions “taxi squad,” which means he’ll only play twice per week. According to Ladson “the club did not want Harper to be idle for the next two months” after hitting .319 in his unofficial professional debut in an instructional league.
Because Harper is only 17 years old the Nationals had to request a special exemption from MLB to allow him to play in the AFL, but that obviously wasn’t much of a hurdle given that MLB is surely in favor of Harper and the AFL getting as much attention as possible.
Despite changing their stance on Harper playing in the AFL the Nationals are expected to send him to Single-A for his official pro debut next season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)