Quote of the Day: Warming up in vain during a Cliff Lee start

Oct 13, 2010, 12:48 PM EDT

Rangers reliever Darren O’Day, on the bullpen chatter during Cliff Lee’s complete-game win over the Rays last night:

About the sixth inning we were talking and we said, “Cliff’s gonna finish this game, but let’s warm up so our moms can see us at home.” He likes to finish what he starts.

Lee is now 6-0 with a 1.12 ERA, .185 opponents’ batting average, and 54/6 K/BB ratio in 56.1 career postseason innings spread over seven starts and has gone at least seven innings in all seven games.

1. Mr. Heyward - Oct 13, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I’d like to see Cliff Lee face Pujols 27 times in a row. A simulated 1-on-1 game, if you will. I’d like to see who breaks first. Would Pujols strike out or would Lee issue a walk first? Things to ponder.

2. murd - Oct 13, 2010 at 1:04 PM

There are not enough relief pitcher quotes on this blog.

3. FlyEaglesFly - Oct 13, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I’m hoping for Phils/Rangers play so we can see what Utley does against Lee. My money is on Utley putting one in the bleachers.

4. Mr. Heyward - Oct 13, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I’ll put $20 down against that bet.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 13, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Lee will destroy the Phillies…and I am the biggest Phillies fan around. Dude wanted to stay here and was dissed and sent away to the great Northwest for a bag of baseballs. If the World Series is Phillies/Rangers, the Phillies will not hit Lee.

6. David - Oct 13, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Lee seems to enjoy revenge. Did you see him smile after he retired (insert name of Tampa batter who stepped out of the box three or four times late in the game). I think it was to end the 7th or 8th inning.

7. BC - Oct 13, 2010 at 1:45 PM

If you’re a Phillies fan, you DO NOT want to face Lee and Texas. At least CC is hittable.

8. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I wouldn’t go that far…Lee can only pitch twice. He doesn’t pitch on short rest. So I would be confident that the Phillies could win the other games. But they won’t hit Lee.

9. pancake - Oct 13, 2010 at 2:13 PM

An even better story is Eric Nadel, the Rangers radio god,paying tribute to his long time partner Mark Holtz at the end of the game. You can read more about it and hear the call about half way down in this article.

10. Jonny5 - Oct 13, 2010 at 2:17 PM

If Lee were matched up to Roy, which he would be, I’m not taking that bet. It would be a total pitch-o-rama. It would come down to who can outlast who, and with the way the Phills wear down starters, I think Halladay would go further. Just barely. The only sure thing from that match up is it would be the quickest game of the postseason.

11. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 13, 2010 at 2:22 PM

It would likely be 0-0 through 9. The question is…where is the game? In Texas, I would think they could both go 11. In Philly, somebody is getting pinch-hit for earlier. Either way, I hope it happens. Much better drama than another Yankers-Phillies WS.

12. Jonny5 - Oct 13, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Man I’m still holding onto last WS. I can’t let it go. Texas is the feel good team, I love rooting for Lee. But what would I love more? Seeing the Phillies stick it to the Yankees real good. That’s what i’ve been dreaming of since Charlie trotted Pedro out hacking up loogies to face the Yanks.

13. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 13, 2010 at 3:16 PM

“Man I’m still holding onto last WS. I can’t let it go. ”
    Jonny5, you are so weird…you still think about your team losing a sporting event a year later? What’s wrong with you man? Don’t you have a life…a family…wife, kids, job? Get a life, dude.

14. Jonny5 - Oct 13, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Although I do have all you mentioned above, it’s like the one thing that still bothers me. The phills pitching staff besides one guy was not WS worthy last season. I had the hope that Happ would be used instead of Pedro, but it wasn’t to be, and the Phills were embarrassed by the Yankers. Who’s your daddy Pedro? I still remember it clearly, sitting at the bar with an old friend, watching the Phills get picked apart. Not pretty. I want to see that in reverse, in a bad way. If the Phills never face the Yankers again in the WS, I may never be a complete man again….. Ok, so maybe it’s not that bad, but I really, really, want to see that matchup again.

15. Utley's hair - Oct 13, 2010 at 6:13 PM

That would mean that your Dwarves loyalty would be moot.

16. Utley's hair - Oct 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Don’t forget Joe Carter dancing like a school girl.

17. Utley's hair - Oct 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM

He hasn’t pitched on short rest. That doesn’t mean that he wouldn’t, especially against the team that did to him what you said above.

18. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 13, 2010 at 10:12 PM

That was sarcasm Jonny…you must have missed the post yesterday where everybody ripped me for having those exact same feelings.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2643)