Oct 13, 2010, 7:45 PM EDT
Rangers manager Ron Washington revealed his ALCS rotation on Wednesday in a chat with the media. MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan has all of the details, quotes, and a roster change that involves speedy infielder Esteban German. (Hint: he’s been cut).
Because staff ace Cliff Lee was needed to go the distance in Tuesday’s ALDS Game 5 victory over the Rays, the left-hander will not pitch in the second round against the Yankees until Game 3. That will leave C.J. Wilson to start Game 1 and Colby Lewis to take on the Yanks in Game 2.
Tommy Hunter, 24, will probably start in Game 4, unless the Rangers are completely backed against a wall.
Wilson was converted from a setup role at the beginning of this season and posted astonishingly great results throughout 2010, never showing a sign of fatigue. He finished with a 15-8 record, a 3.35 ERA and a 1.25 WHIP over 33 regular-season starts and fired off 6 1/3 scoreless innings in his lone ALDS outing against Tampa Bay.
Lewis was signed out of a Japanese professional baseball league last winter and had a 3.72 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 196/65 K/BB ratio over 32 starts in his first year back in the states. He threw five scoreless innings in Game 3 of the ALDS on Saturday.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)