Oct 13, 2010, 7:45 PM EDT
Rangers manager Ron Washington revealed his ALCS rotation on Wednesday in a chat with the media. MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan has all of the details, quotes, and a roster change that involves speedy infielder Esteban German. (Hint: he’s been cut).
Because staff ace Cliff Lee was needed to go the distance in Tuesday’s ALDS Game 5 victory over the Rays, the left-hander will not pitch in the second round against the Yankees until Game 3. That will leave C.J. Wilson to start Game 1 and Colby Lewis to take on the Yanks in Game 2.
Tommy Hunter, 24, will probably start in Game 4, unless the Rangers are completely backed against a wall.
Wilson was converted from a setup role at the beginning of this season and posted astonishingly great results throughout 2010, never showing a sign of fatigue. He finished with a 15-8 record, a 3.35 ERA and a 1.25 WHIP over 33 regular-season starts and fired off 6 1/3 scoreless innings in his lone ALDS outing against Tampa Bay.
Lewis was signed out of a Japanese professional baseball league last winter and had a 3.72 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 196/65 K/BB ratio over 32 starts in his first year back in the states. He threw five scoreless innings in Game 3 of the ALDS on Saturday.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)