Oct 13, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
Look, I’m sure Ken Macha is a fine man. He did little harm when given control of some talented Oakland teams. He did the best he could, I suppose, with a pretty bad Brewers team this year. But he’s certainly not an inspiring choice for a team looking to fill a manager vacancy in 2011. Especially not a team whose fans desperately, desperately need to be inspired. Yet the Pirates interviewed him yesterday anyway.
Macha is from the Pittsburgh area and still lives there so in some ways, I suppose, this was a zero cost endeavor. All the Pirates had to do was validate his parking.
But is there anyone who thinks that the Pirates need a Machaian figure as their manager? I don’t really like the term “retread” because it sounds kind of mean, but technically that’s what Macha is. Sure, if there was anything in his managerial history that suggests he could get more out of the Pirates than other guy could, go for it — Billy Martin was a retread too and he got results — but I don’t think there is.
- Report: Cuban free agent infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 0
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 11
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 8
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 138
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (138)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)