Oct 13, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Look, I’m sure Ken Macha is a fine man. He did little harm when given control of some talented Oakland teams. He did the best he could, I suppose, with a pretty bad Brewers team this year. But he’s certainly not an inspiring choice for a team looking to fill a manager vacancy in 2011. Especially not a team whose fans desperately, desperately need to be inspired. Yet the Pirates interviewed him yesterday anyway.
Macha is from the Pittsburgh area and still lives there so in some ways, I suppose, this was a zero cost endeavor. All the Pirates had to do was validate his parking.
But is there anyone who thinks that the Pirates need a Machaian figure as their manager? I don’t really like the term “retread” because it sounds kind of mean, but technically that’s what Macha is. Sure, if there was anything in his managerial history that suggests he could get more out of the Pirates than other guy could, go for it — Billy Martin was a retread too and he got results — but I don’t think there is.
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness