Oct 13, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Look, I’m sure Ken Macha is a fine man. He did little harm when given control of some talented Oakland teams. He did the best he could, I suppose, with a pretty bad Brewers team this year. But he’s certainly not an inspiring choice for a team looking to fill a manager vacancy in 2011. Especially not a team whose fans desperately, desperately need to be inspired. Yet the Pirates interviewed him yesterday anyway.
Macha is from the Pittsburgh area and still lives there so in some ways, I suppose, this was a zero cost endeavor. All the Pirates had to do was validate his parking.
But is there anyone who thinks that the Pirates need a Machaian figure as their manager? I don’t really like the term “retread” because it sounds kind of mean, but technically that’s what Macha is. Sure, if there was anything in his managerial history that suggests he could get more out of the Pirates than other guy could, go for it — Billy Martin was a retread too and he got results — but I don’t think there is.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 22
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 28
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)