Oct 13, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Look, I’m sure Ken Macha is a fine man. He did little harm when given control of some talented Oakland teams. He did the best he could, I suppose, with a pretty bad Brewers team this year. But he’s certainly not an inspiring choice for a team looking to fill a manager vacancy in 2011. Especially not a team whose fans desperately, desperately need to be inspired. Yet the Pirates interviewed him yesterday anyway.
Macha is from the Pittsburgh area and still lives there so in some ways, I suppose, this was a zero cost endeavor. All the Pirates had to do was validate his parking.
But is there anyone who thinks that the Pirates need a Machaian figure as their manager? I don’t really like the term “retread” because it sounds kind of mean, but technically that’s what Macha is. Sure, if there was anything in his managerial history that suggests he could get more out of the Pirates than other guy could, go for it — Billy Martin was a retread too and he got results — but I don’t think there is.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)