Oct 13, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
When you wear ridiculously flamboyant clothing into a baseball clubhouse where the players are celebrating an ALDS victory by spraying each other with champagne, ginger ale, and beer … well, you run the risk of catching some liquid shrapnel.
And as Jeff Caplan of ESPNDallas.com writes, that’s exactly what happened to TBS sideline reporter Craig Sager after the Rangers’ win over the Rays last night:
[Tommy Hunter] grabs several cans of Bud Light from the neatly stacked coolers on wheels stationed around the clubhouse for easy access. Then Hunter made his move. He stalked Sager, and once he got within firing range, he shook and fired. Like a fire hose of barley and hops, Hunter doused Sager, spraying him from his neatly brushed hair down to his some-sort-of-animal-skin loafers.
Sager, at a total loss, took the soaking without saying much of anything, seemingly stunned with a look on his face that said, “Hey, what’d I do?” Then came the kicker. Hunter, his beer barrage finally over and Sager literally drenched, gave a whoop as he turned away from Sager and then shouted: “I don’t even know who you are!”
On one hand that wasn’t very nice of Tommy Hunter. On the other hand, anyone going into the clubhouse mid-celebration has to expect to be doused in something and presumably a big part of the reason Sager dresses like he does is to be noticed when he walks into a room. He got his wish.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 49
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 10
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15