Oct 13, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
This morning we mentioned Shin-Soo Choo’s alleged desire to be “transferred” to a winning team, as reported in the Korea Times. Indians’ GM Chris Antonetti said that he suspected that there was a translation issue, because Choo had just told him a week or two ago that he wants to stay in Cleveland and is optimistic about the team’s chances.
Seems that Antonetti was right. Jeeho Yoo, a Korean journalist, read the article as it was originally printed in Korean, and confirms that the translation — and maybe even the whole English language story in the Korean Times — was loopy:
Hello, a Korean sports writer here. Choo said, purely out of envy, he
wanted to play on a winning team after watching other guys pop champagne
for clinching playoff berths. But he didn’t say the word “transfer”
(should have been translated into ‘trade.’ It’s baseball, not soccer) as
far as I know. But he also said he wants to stay with one club for a
long time and Cleveland would be his first choice. Then he said his
agent would take care of his contract situation and that he hadn’t heard
anything special from the agent.
Thanks Jeeho. So, as suspected, this was much ado about nothing.
And it was also a reminder to cease making the Korea Times my first stop for U.S. baseball news each morning. It may be skewing my perspective a bit.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)