Oct 13, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
This morning we mentioned Shin-Soo Choo’s alleged desire to be “transferred” to a winning team, as reported in the Korea Times. Indians’ GM Chris Antonetti said that he suspected that there was a translation issue, because Choo had just told him a week or two ago that he wants to stay in Cleveland and is optimistic about the team’s chances.
Seems that Antonetti was right. Jeeho Yoo, a Korean journalist, read the article as it was originally printed in Korean, and confirms that the translation — and maybe even the whole English language story in the Korean Times — was loopy:
Hello, a Korean sports writer here. Choo said, purely out of envy, he
wanted to play on a winning team after watching other guys pop champagne
for clinching playoff berths. But he didn’t say the word “transfer”
(should have been translated into ‘trade.’ It’s baseball, not soccer) as
far as I know. But he also said he wants to stay with one club for a
long time and Cleveland would be his first choice. Then he said his
agent would take care of his contract situation and that he hadn’t heard
anything special from the agent.
Thanks Jeeho. So, as suspected, this was much ado about nothing.
And it was also a reminder to cease making the Korea Times my first stop for U.S. baseball news each morning. It may be skewing my perspective a bit.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 0
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)