Oct 14, 2010, 9:51 PM EDT
Add another name to the list of candidates interviewing for the Blue Jays’ managerial opening.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Jays plan to interview Tampa Bay bench coach Dave Martinez as a possible replacement for Cito Gaston.
Martinez, 46, was a major league outfielder from 1986-2001, batting .276/.341/.389 over 1,918 games with the Cubs, Expos, Reds, Giants, White Sox, Rangers, Jays and Braves. He was hired as a coach by Joe Maddon’s Rays after the 2007 season.
The Blue Jays are speaking with a wide range of names this offseason, including Red Sox bench coach DeMarlo Hale, ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine, Padres first base coach Rick Renteria, Red Sox third base coach Tim Bogar, Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin, former Mariners skipper Don Wakamatsu, Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell and a host of other coaches and former managers.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (156)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)