Oct 14, 2010, 9:51 PM EDT
Add another name to the list of candidates interviewing for the Blue Jays’ managerial opening.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Jays plan to interview Tampa Bay bench coach Dave Martinez as a possible replacement for Cito Gaston.
Martinez, 46, was a major league outfielder from 1986-2001, batting .276/.341/.389 over 1,918 games with the Cubs, Expos, Reds, Giants, White Sox, Rangers, Jays and Braves. He was hired as a coach by Joe Maddon’s Rays after the 2007 season.
The Blue Jays are speaking with a wide range of names this offseason, including Red Sox bench coach DeMarlo Hale, ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine, Padres first base coach Rick Renteria, Red Sox third base coach Tim Bogar, Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin, former Mariners skipper Don Wakamatsu, Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell and a host of other coaches and former managers.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 2
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 4
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 48
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)