Oct 14, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
Yesterday’s news that Jake Westbrook recently underwent surgery on his non-throwing shoulder hasn’t changed the Cardinals’ interest in re-signing the free agent-to-be.
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch general manager John Mozeliak “did reaffirm the team’s plan to pursue Westbrook this offseason for the team’s vacancy in the rotation.” Westbrook has repeatedly said that he’d be open to remaining in St. Louis after posting a 3.48 ERA in 12 starts following a midseason trade to the Cardinals.
Westbrook just completed a three-year, $33 million deal signed with the Indians in 2007, logging 203 innings after missing most of 2008 and all of 2009 with an elbow injury that required surgery. At age 33 and with his injury history Westbrook is unlikely to approach those lofty salaries on the open market, but he should have little trouble securing a multi-year deal in a weak offseason for free agent starting pitching.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)