Oct 14, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
One of the things I love about the early hot stove season is the crazy trade talk. Once things get going hot and heavy in December people get realistic, but in the few days after a team is eliminated you get all kinds of insane speculation.
An excellent example of it comes in Jeff Schultz’s column at the AJC today. The overall point — should the Braves trade Jair Jurrjens? — is an interesting and valuable one. Maybe they should, if he’s not already seen as damaged goods. But the tag at the end of the piece is red meat for my crazy trade talk fixation:
I’ll leave you with this: Columbus, Ga., native and St. Louis center field Colby Rasmus clashed this season with manager Tony La Russa and
requested a trade two months ago. Would you be willing to part with
Jurrjens if he was part of a Rasmus trade?
The answer, yes. And I’d even be willing to throw in a couple hundred bucks to pay for the lobotomy that would be required for John Mozeliak to even consider it.
But the real beauty of that is the reference to Rasmus being from Columbus, Georgia. As if he’d have any real say in where he goes, thereby rendering the Braves a more likely target, even if the Cardinals were foolish enough to trade him. It’s that kind of little hook — geography usually, but sometimes a relationship with one of the target team’s coaches or something — that really makes the “hey, what the hell” trade speculation special.
I’m not trying to slam Schultz here. Fans and bloggers and stuff are way worse about coming up with silly trade scenarios. Just using his piece as an example of the stuff we can expect a flood of after the postseason is over. It’s what keeps us warm in the cold winter months, ya know?
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 3
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 132
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 42
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 370
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (370)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (131)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (86)