Oct 14, 2010, 12:23 AM EST
It got lost a bit in all the playoff excitement the last couple of days, but I spotted an interesting story in the Long Beach Press-Telegram, which pointed out the amazing baseball pipeline at Long Beach State.
According to the story, Long Beach State had 17 players compete in the major leagues this season, more than any other school.
What is also impressive is the quality of Dirtbags — err, players — on the list, as the group includes All-Stars Jered Weaver, Troy Tulowitzki and Evan Longoria.
Interestingly, according to Baseball-reference, Long Beach State has had only 33 players play in the big leagues overall, so the impressive run is a recent phenomenon.
The honor for most big leaguers in MLB history goes to the University of Texas with 100 (Roger Clemens, Huston Street, etc), followed by Arizona State (98, Barry Bonds, Reggie Jackson, Dustin Pedroia), and Stanford (82, Mike Mussina, Bob Boone).
But for now, it’s a Long Beach world.
It isn’t a stretch to say the parade won’t stop any time soon, either. Third baseman Adam Heether, outfielder Shane Peterson, shortstop Devon Lohman, and pitchers Jarad Hughes, Nick Vincent, Andrew Liebel, Bryan Shaw, Adam Wilk, Charlie Ruiz and Jake Thompson are all performing well enough in the minors to warrant an eventual shot at the majors.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 4
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)