Oct 14, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
Lyle Overbay is preparing to hit the open market as a free agent next month and the veteran first baseman told Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that re-signing with the Blue Jays seems unlikely:
The situation has got to be right. Obviously, it’s not going to be a long-term deal. So, if they take a step back, I just don’t see myself coming into that. It’s not going to help them and it’s not going to help me, because I’m not going to be part of the winning part of it. I think the offseason for them is going to be big to see what direction they go in. I think that’s going to dictate a lot of it.
Overbay suggesting that he wants to be on a winning team and the Blue Jays may not fit that description is interesting, because a) Toronto won 85 games this season and has plenty of young talent, and b) Overbay hit just .243/.329/.433 in 154 games. He hit well in the second half after making some swing adjustments, but at 33 years old Overbay’s odds of being an above-average first baseman next season are probably lower than the Blue Jays’ odds of finishing above .500 again.
Adam Lind and Edwin Encarnacion are both options to replace Overbay at first base, and Jose Bautista also saw some action there late in the season. And even if they decide to fill the position with a free agent, I’ll be surprised if the Blue Jays make Overbay their target.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 28
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)