Oct 14, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
Lyle Overbay is preparing to hit the open market as a free agent next month and the veteran first baseman told Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that re-signing with the Blue Jays seems unlikely:
The situation has got to be right. Obviously, it’s not going to be a long-term deal. So, if they take a step back, I just don’t see myself coming into that. It’s not going to help them and it’s not going to help me, because I’m not going to be part of the winning part of it. I think the offseason for them is going to be big to see what direction they go in. I think that’s going to dictate a lot of it.
Overbay suggesting that he wants to be on a winning team and the Blue Jays may not fit that description is interesting, because a) Toronto won 85 games this season and has plenty of young talent, and b) Overbay hit just .243/.329/.433 in 154 games. He hit well in the second half after making some swing adjustments, but at 33 years old Overbay’s odds of being an above-average first baseman next season are probably lower than the Blue Jays’ odds of finishing above .500 again.
Adam Lind and Edwin Encarnacion are both options to replace Overbay at first base, and Jose Bautista also saw some action there late in the season. And even if they decide to fill the position with a free agent, I’ll be surprised if the Blue Jays make Overbay their target.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 13
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 50
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)