Oct 14, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
Lyle Overbay is preparing to hit the open market as a free agent next month and the veteran first baseman told Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that re-signing with the Blue Jays seems unlikely:
The situation has got to be right. Obviously, it’s not going to be a long-term deal. So, if they take a step back, I just don’t see myself coming into that. It’s not going to help them and it’s not going to help me, because I’m not going to be part of the winning part of it. I think the offseason for them is going to be big to see what direction they go in. I think that’s going to dictate a lot of it.
Overbay suggesting that he wants to be on a winning team and the Blue Jays may not fit that description is interesting, because a) Toronto won 85 games this season and has plenty of young talent, and b) Overbay hit just .243/.329/.433 in 154 games. He hit well in the second half after making some swing adjustments, but at 33 years old Overbay’s odds of being an above-average first baseman next season are probably lower than the Blue Jays’ odds of finishing above .500 again.
Adam Lind and Edwin Encarnacion are both options to replace Overbay at first base, and Jose Bautista also saw some action there late in the season. And even if they decide to fill the position with a free agent, I’ll be surprised if the Blue Jays make Overbay their target.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)