Oct 14, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
Lyle Overbay is preparing to hit the open market as a free agent next month and the veteran first baseman told Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that re-signing with the Blue Jays seems unlikely:
The situation has got to be right. Obviously, it’s not going to be a long-term deal. So, if they take a step back, I just don’t see myself coming into that. It’s not going to help them and it’s not going to help me, because I’m not going to be part of the winning part of it. I think the offseason for them is going to be big to see what direction they go in. I think that’s going to dictate a lot of it.
Overbay suggesting that he wants to be on a winning team and the Blue Jays may not fit that description is interesting, because a) Toronto won 85 games this season and has plenty of young talent, and b) Overbay hit just .243/.329/.433 in 154 games. He hit well in the second half after making some swing adjustments, but at 33 years old Overbay’s odds of being an above-average first baseman next season are probably lower than the Blue Jays’ odds of finishing above .500 again.
Adam Lind and Edwin Encarnacion are both options to replace Overbay at first base, and Jose Bautista also saw some action there late in the season. And even if they decide to fill the position with a free agent, I’ll be surprised if the Blue Jays make Overbay their target.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 2
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)