Oct 14, 2010, 11:01 AM EST
Jeff Francoeur is always smiling, the media loves him and I’m totally prepared to admit that my hatred of him is highly irrational. But sometimes I’m convinced that he truly is evil. Listen to what he told the Daily News:
“I always wanted to know what it was like to play meaningful baseball in New York and I’m going to have the opportunity.”
There’s about a 99.2% chance that the turn of phrase was totally innocuous, and all he means is that he wanted to make the playoffs with the Mets. There’s a 0.8% chance, however — and it’s a 0.8% I’m clinging too! — that he was wanting to make Mets fans feel awful about following a hopeless team that he himself helped make hopeless.
Which would be impossibly and deliciously mean of Frenchie. So much so that I’d consider buying him a drink and giving him a high-five if I saw him out someplace.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27