Panic on the streets of New York

Oct 14, 2010, 9:13 AM EDT

Evidence that there are too many days off between playoff series: when a couple of plunkings in a simulated game give you the back page in the New York Daily News.

Yeah, it’s kind of funny and I suppose kind of worrisome that Burnett was wild while pitching a simulated game.  But wasn’t the whole point of the sim game to remove a bunch of accumulated rust anyway? Maybe this was worse than the Yankees hoped for, but of course he wasn’t going to be on. If he was sharp they wouldn’t have needed the game.

Everyone’s so damn tense right now. Some Yankees fans are actually arguing that Girardi should punt Game 3 by pitching Burnett against Lee.*  I was on a Philly radio show this morning and people there are actually concerned about the Giants because Roy Halladay gave up five runs to them in a game six months ago.

I understand that FOX and TBS like to sell ads ahead of time and everything, but I wish the playoff schedule was set up so that the LCS started a day or two after the LDS ended. Sure, maybe a couple of pitchers would be tired, but I think it’d be preferable to all of this waitin’ around a worrying.

*I’m not suggesting that pitching Burnett against Lee would actually constitute Girardi punting the game. I think Burnett is capable of pitching well enough if the Yankees are on, even if I think you should match up a better pitcher against Lee. But the rhetoric from some Yankees fans I’ve talked to is basically “well, we’re going to lose against Lee anyway, so we may as well hide Burnett there.”  I can’t recall the last time I heard anything so defeatist from Yankees fans.

1. brad lidge's mole - Oct 14, 2010 at 9:31 AM

hang the dj, hang the dj, hang the dj!

2. Evan - Oct 14, 2010 at 9:40 AM

I’ve always wondered why managers don’t this more often. If your team has a deeper pitching staff but their team has a better ace, why wouldn’t you match up your best pitchers against their worst pitchers and let their ace beat your worst pitcher? I don’t understand why this isn’t a good strategy.

3. Jonny5 - Oct 14, 2010 at 9:48 AM

That’s something that’ll be criticized heavily if Joe does actually throw Burnett at Lee. Maybe it’s the smartest thing to do, even if it is “lowbrow” and “bush league”? Just to name a few of the terms that’ll be thrown his way if he did indeed do it. What that does do is say, We submit to you Cliff Lee. Just take the win and go away for 3 games please.

4. Jonny5 - Oct 14, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Regular season, every game is important. So you try to win every game. You don’t give any away when every game comes into account at the end of the season. Look how tight some divisions were. Well ,that’s my take on it anyway.

5. Pisano - Oct 14, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I agree , no matter who you match Burnett up with he’s going to get his ass kicked , so let that scumbag be the sacrificial lamb . Let Texas waste their ace against that loser . The Yankees could get three wins out of CC , Pettite , and Hughes . I had thought about avoiding AJ altogether by using a duo of Mitre and Mosely , and keeping Burnett for mop up duty in case of a blow out . In reality there is no place for Burnett on a playoff roster , the guy is a loss waiting to happen.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 14, 2010 at 10:02 AM

“I was on a Philly radio show this morning and people there are actually concerned about the Giants because Roy Halladay gave up five runs to them in a game six months ago.”
    I heard you on WIP this morning…good spot. Those guys were just trying to drum up talk…Angelo has the mindset of almost every Phillies fan around. Phillies in 5…maybe 6. Giants have 3 pitchers, Posey, and a couple guys who had OK years(Burrell, Huff, Torres) The Phillies win or push at worst every single match-up 1-8 and pitching staff. I’d even call Lidge-Wilson a push, because Wilson didn’t look too good in the NLDS. Trust me…NOBODY is concerned about a start Doc made 6 months ago. And NOBODY is concerned about the feeble Giants line-up. Phillies in 5..maybe 6.

7. Mr. Heyward - Oct 14, 2010 at 10:29 AM

All this waiting has given HBT writers more time to write about waiting around for the next series to start.

8. Dan in Katonah - Oct 14, 2010 at 10:40 AM

You mean “AJ” not dj.

9. NYY - Oct 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Girardi has already announced his game three starter, Andy Pettitte. Non story.

10. Ditto65 - Oct 14, 2010 at 11:05 AM

The headline should b in CAPS for effect (or is it affect, I can never remember).

11. Jonny5 - Oct 14, 2010 at 11:13 AM

For the first time ever. Phillies in 3!!! Only because the Giants roll over for game 4.
    No, on a serious note. My prediction is as follows.
    Phillies in 4 games. Record broken for fewest hits allowed in the post season by any team. EVER.
    Is that pretentious enough for Philly??? I hope so. :>)

12. BC - Oct 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM

No way Burnett gets Game 3. Then if you go 7 games, you end up probably pitching CC twice on short rest or (gulp) pitching Burnett in Game 7. The way things looked to be set up (CC, Hughes, Pettite, Burnett) you have Pettite for Game 7 and everyone on regular rest.

13. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 14, 2010 at 12:10 PM

There is no f’ing way Burnett pitches if the Yankers are down 2-1. No way.

14. IdahoMariner - Oct 14, 2010 at 12:11 PM

….and then do the Rangers just sit Cliff down and throw out their no. 4 starter?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3357)