Oct 14, 2010, 9:13 AM EST
Evidence that there are too many days off between playoff series: when a couple of plunkings in a simulated game give you the back page in the New York Daily News.
Yeah, it’s kind of funny and I suppose kind of worrisome that Burnett was wild while pitching a simulated game. But wasn’t the whole point of the sim game to remove a bunch of accumulated rust anyway? Maybe this was worse than the Yankees hoped for, but of course he wasn’t going to be on. If he was sharp they wouldn’t have needed the game.
Everyone’s so damn tense right now. Some Yankees fans are actually arguing that Girardi should punt Game 3 by pitching Burnett against Lee.* I was on a Philly radio show this morning and people there are actually concerned about the Giants because Roy Halladay gave up five runs to them in a game six months ago.
I understand that FOX and TBS like to sell ads ahead of time and everything, but I wish the playoff schedule was set up so that the LCS started a day or two after the LDS ended. Sure, maybe a couple of pitchers would be tired, but I think it’d be preferable to all of this waitin’ around a worrying.
*I’m not suggesting that pitching Burnett against Lee would actually constitute Girardi punting the game. I think Burnett is capable of pitching well enough if the Yankees are on, even if I think you should match up a better pitcher against Lee. But the rhetoric from some Yankees fans I’ve talked to is basically “well, we’re going to lose against Lee anyway, so we may as well hide Burnett there.” I can’t recall the last time I heard anything so defeatist from Yankees fans.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 13
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 279
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)