Oct 14, 2010, 9:13 AM EST
Evidence that there are too many days off between playoff series: when a couple of plunkings in a simulated game give you the back page in the New York Daily News.
Yeah, it’s kind of funny and I suppose kind of worrisome that Burnett was wild while pitching a simulated game. But wasn’t the whole point of the sim game to remove a bunch of accumulated rust anyway? Maybe this was worse than the Yankees hoped for, but of course he wasn’t going to be on. If he was sharp they wouldn’t have needed the game.
Everyone’s so damn tense right now. Some Yankees fans are actually arguing that Girardi should punt Game 3 by pitching Burnett against Lee.* I was on a Philly radio show this morning and people there are actually concerned about the Giants because Roy Halladay gave up five runs to them in a game six months ago.
I understand that FOX and TBS like to sell ads ahead of time and everything, but I wish the playoff schedule was set up so that the LCS started a day or two after the LDS ended. Sure, maybe a couple of pitchers would be tired, but I think it’d be preferable to all of this waitin’ around a worrying.
*I’m not suggesting that pitching Burnett against Lee would actually constitute Girardi punting the game. I think Burnett is capable of pitching well enough if the Yankees are on, even if I think you should match up a better pitcher against Lee. But the rhetoric from some Yankees fans I’ve talked to is basically “well, we’re going to lose against Lee anyway, so we may as well hide Burnett there.” I can’t recall the last time I heard anything so defeatist from Yankees fans.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 6
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)