Oct 14, 2010, 9:13 AM EST
Evidence that there are too many days off between playoff series: when a couple of plunkings in a simulated game give you the back page in the New York Daily News.
Yeah, it’s kind of funny and I suppose kind of worrisome that Burnett was wild while pitching a simulated game. But wasn’t the whole point of the sim game to remove a bunch of accumulated rust anyway? Maybe this was worse than the Yankees hoped for, but of course he wasn’t going to be on. If he was sharp they wouldn’t have needed the game.
Everyone’s so damn tense right now. Some Yankees fans are actually arguing that Girardi should punt Game 3 by pitching Burnett against Lee.* I was on a Philly radio show this morning and people there are actually concerned about the Giants because Roy Halladay gave up five runs to them in a game six months ago.
I understand that FOX and TBS like to sell ads ahead of time and everything, but I wish the playoff schedule was set up so that the LCS started a day or two after the LDS ended. Sure, maybe a couple of pitchers would be tired, but I think it’d be preferable to all of this waitin’ around a worrying.
*I’m not suggesting that pitching Burnett against Lee would actually constitute Girardi punting the game. I think Burnett is capable of pitching well enough if the Yankees are on, even if I think you should match up a better pitcher against Lee. But the rhetoric from some Yankees fans I’ve talked to is basically “well, we’re going to lose against Lee anyway, so we may as well hide Burnett there.” I can’t recall the last time I heard anything so defeatist from Yankees fans.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 10
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 90
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)