Oct 15, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT
The Giants haven’t officially announced their roster for the NLCS against the Phillies — Bruce Bochy plans to speak with his players later tonight — but some early pieces are starting to fall into place.
According to Andrew Baggarly of San Jose Mercury News, Bochy just announced that Aaron Rowand will be on the roster. Rowand was also on the roster during the NLDS against the Braves and went 1-for-2 with a strikeout.
Meanwhile, Bob Nightengale of USA Today writes that it “looks like” Barry Zito will be left off the Giants’ roster for a second straight round. Madison Bumgarner is currently installed as the team’s fourth starter, so the high-priced left-hander would have only pitched out of the bullpen. It’s not a given, though. Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Zito or Dan Runzler, another left-hander, could still replace Guillermo Mota on the roster against the lefty-heavy Phillies. Stay tuned.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)