Oct 15, 2010, 3:40 PM EDT
Don Baylor is out as the Rockies’ hitting coach, which at first glance may seem strange after Colorado scored the third-most runs in the league this season. However, thanks to playing half their games at Coors Field the Rockies always score a ton of runs. In fact, they’ve finished among the league’s top five in 17 straight years.
To account for their hitter-friendly ballpark a stat like adjusted OPS+ is more useful than raw totals and the Rockies ranked just 10th among NL teams in OPS+ this season after ranking fourth in 2009. Away from Coors Field they hit just .226/.303/.351, ranking second-worst in both OPS and runs on the road.
On the other hand, both Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki have thrived under Baylor’s instruction and it’s tough to blame him for Todd Helton getting old. Beyond that, Carney Lansford was fired after serving as the Giants’ hitting coach in 2008 and 2009 because San Francisco ranked 15th and 13th in runs.
Baylor has said that he’d like to manage again and Cito Gaston recommended him to the Blue Jays as his replacement, but there hasn’t been much talk of him being a top candidate for any openings yet. Colorado has reportedly offered him another job within the organization.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)