Oct 15, 2010, 7:04 PM EDT
You won’t believe it, but I just got an e-mail from Mets COO Jeff Wilpon. Okay, well, me and thousands of other fans who subscribe to “The Flushing Flash,” the team’s e-mail newsletter.
Sadly, Wilpon doesn’t communicate in Comic Sans, but with the way things have been going with the franchise over the past few years, he doesn’t really need it.
Courtesy of Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, here’s Wilpon’s update on the team’s general manager search.
Dear Mets Fans:
We have heard from many of you over recent weeks offering suggestions and ideas on how to assemble a winning team. Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Your interest and support of the Mets is greatly appreciated.
We have been hard at work since the end of the season exploring ways to improve our club. As you likely know, this week we interviewed five candidates for general manager — Allard Baird, Rick Hahn, Josh Byrnes, Sandy Alderson and Logan White. They are all intelligent, passionate and creative about winning. They conveyed their honest assessment of our franchise and discussed how we can move forward on our pledge to give our fans the winner that they deserve.
We are continuing our search and expect to hire our new GM in the next few weeks. We will be in contact with you with more information and details soon.
I’m sure Jeff (or his ghostwriter) is just being gracious to all of the candidates, but the tone of the e-mail makes it sound like all five of them were like, “Eh, I’m good.”
According to Rubin, a team spokesperson said that “as of now” they have yet to schedule interviews with additional candidates.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 21
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 36
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 51
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)