Oct 15, 2010, 7:04 PM EDT
You won’t believe it, but I just got an e-mail from Mets COO Jeff Wilpon. Okay, well, me and thousands of other fans who subscribe to “The Flushing Flash,” the team’s e-mail newsletter.
Sadly, Wilpon doesn’t communicate in Comic Sans, but with the way things have been going with the franchise over the past few years, he doesn’t really need it.
Courtesy of Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, here’s Wilpon’s update on the team’s general manager search.
Dear Mets Fans:
We have heard from many of you over recent weeks offering suggestions and ideas on how to assemble a winning team. Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Your interest and support of the Mets is greatly appreciated.
We have been hard at work since the end of the season exploring ways to improve our club. As you likely know, this week we interviewed five candidates for general manager — Allard Baird, Rick Hahn, Josh Byrnes, Sandy Alderson and Logan White. They are all intelligent, passionate and creative about winning. They conveyed their honest assessment of our franchise and discussed how we can move forward on our pledge to give our fans the winner that they deserve.
We are continuing our search and expect to hire our new GM in the next few weeks. We will be in contact with you with more information and details soon.
I’m sure Jeff (or his ghostwriter) is just being gracious to all of the candidates, but the tone of the e-mail makes it sound like all five of them were like, “Eh, I’m good.”
According to Rubin, a team spokesperson said that “as of now” they have yet to schedule interviews with additional candidates.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)