Oct 15, 2010, 7:04 PM EDT
You won’t believe it, but I just got an e-mail from Mets COO Jeff Wilpon. Okay, well, me and thousands of other fans who subscribe to “The Flushing Flash,” the team’s e-mail newsletter.
Sadly, Wilpon doesn’t communicate in Comic Sans, but with the way things have been going with the franchise over the past few years, he doesn’t really need it.
Courtesy of Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, here’s Wilpon’s update on the team’s general manager search.
Dear Mets Fans:
We have heard from many of you over recent weeks offering suggestions and ideas on how to assemble a winning team. Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Your interest and support of the Mets is greatly appreciated.
We have been hard at work since the end of the season exploring ways to improve our club. As you likely know, this week we interviewed five candidates for general manager — Allard Baird, Rick Hahn, Josh Byrnes, Sandy Alderson and Logan White. They are all intelligent, passionate and creative about winning. They conveyed their honest assessment of our franchise and discussed how we can move forward on our pledge to give our fans the winner that they deserve.
We are continuing our search and expect to hire our new GM in the next few weeks. We will be in contact with you with more information and details soon.
I’m sure Jeff (or his ghostwriter) is just being gracious to all of the candidates, but the tone of the e-mail makes it sound like all five of them were like, “Eh, I’m good.”
According to Rubin, a team spokesperson said that “as of now” they have yet to schedule interviews with additional candidates.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 36
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 213
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (213)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)