Oct 15, 2010, 7:04 PM EDT
You won’t believe it, but I just got an e-mail from Mets COO Jeff Wilpon. Okay, well, me and thousands of other fans who subscribe to “The Flushing Flash,” the team’s e-mail newsletter.
Sadly, Wilpon doesn’t communicate in Comic Sans, but with the way things have been going with the franchise over the past few years, he doesn’t really need it.
Courtesy of Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, here’s Wilpon’s update on the team’s general manager search.
Dear Mets Fans:
We have heard from many of you over recent weeks offering suggestions and ideas on how to assemble a winning team. Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Your interest and support of the Mets is greatly appreciated.
We have been hard at work since the end of the season exploring ways to improve our club. As you likely know, this week we interviewed five candidates for general manager — Allard Baird, Rick Hahn, Josh Byrnes, Sandy Alderson and Logan White. They are all intelligent, passionate and creative about winning. They conveyed their honest assessment of our franchise and discussed how we can move forward on our pledge to give our fans the winner that they deserve.
We are continuing our search and expect to hire our new GM in the next few weeks. We will be in contact with you with more information and details soon.
I’m sure Jeff (or his ghostwriter) is just being gracious to all of the candidates, but the tone of the e-mail makes it sound like all five of them were like, “Eh, I’m good.”
According to Rubin, a team spokesperson said that “as of now” they have yet to schedule interviews with additional candidates.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 86
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)