Oct 15, 2010, 11:08 AM EDT
That whole Mets-Jon Daniels thing? Not dead yet. At least not in the eyes of the New York media.
According to Bill Madden and Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, though the Mets haven’t asked permission to speak with Daniels, “executives following their search” say they might once the Rangers’ postseason run is over.
With his team preparing to take on the Yankees in the ALCS, Daniels dodged many questions when asked by various New York media outlets Thursday, but seems to be taking the speculation in stride.
“It’s not appropriate for me to comment on this during the playoffs,” Daniels said at first. When pressed further about the Mets, he added a more lighthearted comment, “My mom is loving this.”
Daniels is a native New Yorker and his mother still lives in Bayside, Queens. He also grew up a Mets fan, so the questions are inevitable and probably warranted. It doesn’t make him a realistic candidate for the job, though. Daniels has a team on the brink of the World Series, new ownership, a massive television deal and one of the best farm systems in the sport. Pretty hard to walk away from, even if it would make mom happy.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)