Oct 15, 2010, 11:08 AM EST
That whole Mets-Jon Daniels thing? Not dead yet. At least not in the eyes of the New York media.
According to Bill Madden and Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, though the Mets haven’t asked permission to speak with Daniels, “executives following their search” say they might once the Rangers’ postseason run is over.
With his team preparing to take on the Yankees in the ALCS, Daniels dodged many questions when asked by various New York media outlets Thursday, but seems to be taking the speculation in stride.
“It’s not appropriate for me to comment on this during the playoffs,” Daniels said at first. When pressed further about the Mets, he added a more lighthearted comment, “My mom is loving this.”
Daniels is a native New Yorker and his mother still lives in Bayside, Queens. He also grew up a Mets fan, so the questions are inevitable and probably warranted. It doesn’t make him a realistic candidate for the job, though. Daniels has a team on the brink of the World Series, new ownership, a massive television deal and one of the best farm systems in the sport. Pretty hard to walk away from, even if it would make mom happy.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)