Oct 15, 2010, 11:08 AM EDT
That whole Mets-Jon Daniels thing? Not dead yet. At least not in the eyes of the New York media.
According to Bill Madden and Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, though the Mets haven’t asked permission to speak with Daniels, “executives following their search” say they might once the Rangers’ postseason run is over.
With his team preparing to take on the Yankees in the ALCS, Daniels dodged many questions when asked by various New York media outlets Thursday, but seems to be taking the speculation in stride.
“It’s not appropriate for me to comment on this during the playoffs,” Daniels said at first. When pressed further about the Mets, he added a more lighthearted comment, “My mom is loving this.”
Daniels is a native New Yorker and his mother still lives in Bayside, Queens. He also grew up a Mets fan, so the questions are inevitable and probably warranted. It doesn’t make him a realistic candidate for the job, though. Daniels has a team on the brink of the World Series, new ownership, a massive television deal and one of the best farm systems in the sport. Pretty hard to walk away from, even if it would make mom happy.
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 11
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 60
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 104
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 75
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)