Oct 15, 2010, 11:08 AM EDT
That whole Mets-Jon Daniels thing? Not dead yet. At least not in the eyes of the New York media.
According to Bill Madden and Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, though the Mets haven’t asked permission to speak with Daniels, “executives following their search” say they might once the Rangers’ postseason run is over.
With his team preparing to take on the Yankees in the ALCS, Daniels dodged many questions when asked by various New York media outlets Thursday, but seems to be taking the speculation in stride.
“It’s not appropriate for me to comment on this during the playoffs,” Daniels said at first. When pressed further about the Mets, he added a more lighthearted comment, “My mom is loving this.”
Daniels is a native New Yorker and his mother still lives in Bayside, Queens. He also grew up a Mets fan, so the questions are inevitable and probably warranted. It doesn’t make him a realistic candidate for the job, though. Daniels has a team on the brink of the World Series, new ownership, a massive television deal and one of the best farm systems in the sport. Pretty hard to walk away from, even if it would make mom happy.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 43
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 33
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (75)