Oct 15, 2010, 1:07 PM EST
As you may recall, a report in the Korea Times earlier this week quoted Shin-Soo Choo as saying that he wanted to be “transferred” to a winning team.
The report was immediately downplayed by Indians GM Chris Antonetti and later debunked by another reporter Jeeho Yoo, who said that Choo was misquoted in the piece. Now, Yoon Chul, who wrote the piece for the Korea Times, has come clean.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Chul wrote the Indians and said editing problems, which omitted information, caused the confusion. Chul also said that Choo had “no idea” about the author’s use of the word “transfer” in the piece. In other words, he and/or the Korea Times made the whole thing up.
Way to kick Cleveland when they are down, guys.
This offseason will still be interesting as far as Choo is concerned. Arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, the 28-year-old outfielder is now represented by Scott Boras. Choo is also playing for South Korea at the Asian Games. If his team wins the gold medal, the government may grant him an exemption from his two years of required military service.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 87
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 35
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (93)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)