Oct 15, 2010, 1:07 PM EDT
As you may recall, a report in the Korea Times earlier this week quoted Shin-Soo Choo as saying that he wanted to be “transferred” to a winning team.
The report was immediately downplayed by Indians GM Chris Antonetti and later debunked by another reporter Jeeho Yoo, who said that Choo was misquoted in the piece. Now, Yoon Chul, who wrote the piece for the Korea Times, has come clean.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Chul wrote the Indians and said editing problems, which omitted information, caused the confusion. Chul also said that Choo had “no idea” about the author’s use of the word “transfer” in the piece. In other words, he and/or the Korea Times made the whole thing up.
Way to kick Cleveland when they are down, guys.
This offseason will still be interesting as far as Choo is concerned. Arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, the 28-year-old outfielder is now represented by Scott Boras. Choo is also playing for South Korea at the Asian Games. If his team wins the gold medal, the government may grant him an exemption from his two years of required military service.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 20
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)