Oct 15, 2010, 1:07 PM EDT
As you may recall, a report in the Korea Times earlier this week quoted Shin-Soo Choo as saying that he wanted to be “transferred” to a winning team.
The report was immediately downplayed by Indians GM Chris Antonetti and later debunked by another reporter Jeeho Yoo, who said that Choo was misquoted in the piece. Now, Yoon Chul, who wrote the piece for the Korea Times, has come clean.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Chul wrote the Indians and said editing problems, which omitted information, caused the confusion. Chul also said that Choo had “no idea” about the author’s use of the word “transfer” in the piece. In other words, he and/or the Korea Times made the whole thing up.
Way to kick Cleveland when they are down, guys.
This offseason will still be interesting as far as Choo is concerned. Arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, the 28-year-old outfielder is now represented by Scott Boras. Choo is also playing for South Korea at the Asian Games. If his team wins the gold medal, the government may grant him an exemption from his two years of required military service.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)