Must-click link: Mariano Rivera doesn’t throw any meatballs

Oct 15, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT

click here bigger

Over at the Replacement Level Yankees Weblog there’s a very interesting post showing “heat maps” for Mariano Rivera’s pitches, which are unique in that they’re rarely thrown over the middle of the plate. That may sound obvious, but as you’ll see if you click the link Rivera is actually an oddity compared to MLB pitchers as a whole and some of the league’s elite closers.

Replacement Level Yankees Weblog: Mariano Rivera’s pitch frequency

Rivera essentially throws one pitch and he commands it so well that he’s perhaps the only pitcher who can truly live on the edges of the strike zone while also walking fewer than two batters per nine innings. Just when you think we’ve run out of ways to show how amazing Rivera is, stuff like the heat maps comes along to shine a new light on his unique greatness.

1. mrelbravoheyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Yeah but he throws just one pitch. That’s so wussy. He clearly sucks and will never have any accolades that are of any relevance to anything.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I like your name better this way. Stop talking to yourself. Okay.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Dude you are so awesome. I love how you are always right and I’m always wrong. Why do I ever even try to argue with you and your clearly higher level of brilliance? You sir, are a gentleman and scholar that I only wish one day I could be close to you in social stature and cognitive ability.

p.s. I no longer love the Phillies and will only root for the great Atlanta Braves from here on out. Sorry for being wrong for all this time.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Thanks, Fiorentino. I knew you’d come around to the ways of good people.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:55 PM

When my name doesn’t have a green blog link, it means it wasn’t me. FYI…you are about 3 hours late to the “posting stuff using other people’s name” party.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Who says? I like you a lot more in the black text. You are much nicer, root for a good team and don’t act douchey.
        You should be proud, I actually got some work done in those three hours of not arguing with internet folk (i.e. you).

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:06 PM

What is this “work” that you speak of on a Friday?

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:48 PM

You are crazy. Mariano Rivera is the single greatest player in the history of baseball. He walks on water. He never ever gets hit. He has never been beaten. His pitches are magical. They move 12 inches across the plate and are unhittable. Mo = Jesus.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I’m a buddhist. Hey thanks again for the kind words above.

• RichardInBigD - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:18 PM

You might want to check the last two times he faced the Rangers…

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Sarcasm: witty language used to convey insults or scorn (usage: I just did)

• GOD - Oct 15, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Mr. Jason “El Bravo” Heyward. You choose to worship a man with breasts larger than those of Cameron Diaz? Over me. More curses upon your team!!!! If it wasn’t bad enough I had to hear a million of you praying to me last week with that stupid tomahawk chop running through your brains, you now annoy me with this??? Not only Is Frenchie going to have amazing abilities this week, But his team will advance!!! So it shall be.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM

God, I am not that type of Buddhist. I said I was a buddhist. You would think being omniscient, you would know this and recognize that I clearly did not capitalize the “B” for a reason.

2. iranuke - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:47 PM

What would be interesting would be to compare Mariano to othe high quality pitchers like Cliff Lee or Roy Halliday.

3. GOD - Oct 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM

But he’s a Yankee. I command this “praising” of him to stop instantly. And Chris F., Rivera is not my only begotten son. I disowned him for joining forces with the devil a long time ago. Cease this instantly or your you will wake up tomorrow with another leg growing out of your backside. Not a normal leg either. A real messed up looking leg.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I tried to goad Yankers fans into a little bit of debate, and all I got was some rambling posts from Cerrano(as myself), who I think is certifiable right now, and a Rangers fan. Disappointing to say the least.

• GOD - Oct 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Ok, I’ll scratch the screwed up butt leg. This time….

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I call them the Yankers because that’s what I like to do when I think about Derek Jeter. So dreamy!

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Wow…Cerrano took the time to actually create an actual blog so my name would be green. I think I need to get a restraining order on you Pedro…geeze.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 4:42 PM

As much fun as that would be, it isn’t me. I’m not the only one here that knows your douchenozzley ways.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM

LOLZ…seemed like something you would do…my apologies Mr. Heyward.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Oh, it’s certainly something I’d do. I posted as you above (in black). That was my only post under another pseudonym. Otherwise, I’m straight up El Bravo, Mr. Heyward or some combination thereof. That’s keepin’ it real.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 4:43 PM

God, please tell the real Fioren-douche-o to please stand up?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5049)