Oct 15, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
Yesterday afternoon Will Carroll reported that the Cubs were poised to take the interim tag from Mike Quade and make him the full time boss. He also said that they were going to name Ryne Sandberg bench coach. He said these moves could come as early as next week.
I buy the Quade part, as some People Who Know Things have been telling me for a while that they think he’ll get the job. Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times casts doubt on the Ryne Sandberg part of that, however, saying that Quade and Sandberg on the same staff isn’t likely. Which makes some intuitive sense in that Sandberg probably doesn’t want to play second fiddle — he has made a point of saying that he is ready to manage, not apprentice — and in that Quade probably doesn’t want a popular “people’s choice” type of guy on staff, because the minute things go sideways with the Cubs folks will be second guessing, calling for Sandberg to take over and all of that kind of nonsense.
As is always the case, we’ll see. For what it’s worth, those People Who Know Things say that the reason they think Quade will get the job is that he’s really popular among the players. Players like Ryan Dempster. Maybe not players like Joe Borowski, though. But really: you lettin’ Joe Borowski decide things? What are you, nuts?
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (184)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (86)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)