Wait — did they go and screw with my HardballTalk again?

Oct 15, 2010, 5:51 AM EDT

Change sign

Um, yes. A little. Thanks for noticing!

No, it’s  not a major change like the one we dropped on you last summer. You know, the one that caused you to say that you’d never read us again and which made you threaten the lives of my family? Boy, I’m glad you weren’t serious about that! I’d hate it if you stopped reading.

No, this time it’s minor. At least from your end: we switched publishing platforms from Movable Type to WordPress. Bloggers among you may find that interesting. Non-bloggers, not so much. The point, however, is that changing over to WordPress makes the machinery of this jalopy work much more smoothly, and that makes Aaron, D.J., Drew, Matthew, Bob and I much less grumpy. It should also improve things for you. You may have noticed some time lags in posts and comments appearing, as well as a few other quirks. That should mostly disappear. There are other, more subtle things that you may not notice but which will make your time-wasting, er, I mean your reading experience a bit better.

The one big change, however, is comments. While registration for commenting is not new to you, your old registration on Movable Type won’t work now. You will, as that email you should have received from NBC told you, have to register with WordPress. The good news is that if you’re an avid blog commenter already you probably already have a WordPress login. If not, registration is not obtrusive as  far as these things go, and will only take a moment. We don’t, it should go without saying, use your registration information for any ulterior marketing or spying purposes or for any other sort of tomfoolery.

So that’s that. If you experience any hiccups, let me know. If you’re just a crotchety old fogey who hates change, well, yeah, me too.  But we promise that after this we won’t go messin’ with anything for a while. Coo?  Of course it’s cool.

Craig

1. adrianbk - Oct 15, 2010 at 5:29 AM

It’s too difficult Craig.

2. okr1st - Oct 15, 2010 at 5:47 AM

It’s coo coo…

3. fuckyoufiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Not sure if this is happening for everyone, but I’m seeing the timestamp displayed in UTC (though the time itself appears to still be Eastern or Central time).

• mrelbravoheyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM

greatest. name. ever.

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Oct 15, 2010 at 7:24 AM

“But we promise that after this we won’t go messin’ with anything for a while”

Famous last words.

• IdahoMariner - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:18 PM

that’s what I was thinking. Silly Craig.

5. merklesboner - Oct 15, 2010 at 7:49 AM

But some other idiot already has the username “gobiasindustries”! Now I gotta use this one! I will never read this blog again!

Hopefully certain other commenters are able to secure the usernames “oldgator”, “jonny5″, “chrisfiorentino”, etc., otherwise I’m not gonna recognize anyone around here.

6. Dug - Oct 15, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Dammit. I just get used to the new page format and now this. Geeez.

7. leadweights - Oct 15, 2010 at 8:15 AM

So does this thing work?

8. utleyshair - Oct 15, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I HATE CHANGE!!!!!!! I like cash much better.

9. mrelbravoheyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM

THE POWERS OF EL BRAVO AND MR. HEYWARD ARE NOW ONE! WITH OUR POWERS COMBINED, WE ARE CAPTAIN PLANET (note: Mr Heyward is fire and El Bravo is heart)! WHY AM I YELLING?

10. oldgator - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I don’t like having “Old Gator” compacted into “oldgator” one bit. More on that subject under the Lupica vs. A-Rod thread above. I feel like Daniel Day Lewis in The Crucible: Spare me my name!
    Shit.

• pandaclaus - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Would it have hurt anyone to allow a simple little underscore ( _ )?

And what else is new? Great I selected the “create blog” option so NOW I too have a blog that can disappoint readers… note to self: update blog.

• Gobias Industries - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:30 PM

panda, I just subscribed to your blog and I gotta say that I’m disappointed that you have not updated it in the last five minutes. You’ve failed me. But I do like the pretty picture of the grazing sheep.

• The Rabbit - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Gator…Go to your WordPress user profile.
      You can’t change your user name “oldgator” but there is a line to update how you want your name displayed without signing up for a blog.
      Note: Username and display do not have to be the same.

11. iranuke - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Thank You, I could not get a login with the previous provider, it didn’t like my setting for IE8, these people at least let me in.

• merklesboner - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Well, welcome aboard. Can’t wait to hear what you have to say about nuclear power in Iran, the geeky superhero named Ira Nuclear, or Ukulele players in Iran since you seem to be passionate about one of the three.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:04 PM

He could also be a running ukulele player.

12. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:16 PM

You can go into My Account, Edit My Profile and use whatever name you like as the name seen on here. You don’t need to create a blog either. Only problem now is that anyone can use anyone else’s name anytime they want and I’m not sure if Word Press has a way to stop it from happening.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Sweet, thanks for pointing that out.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM

No problem.

13. madhatsam - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Bah had to update the link I was using on my Blackberry. Seriously no more changes for a long while please.

14. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Ok, the best way to avoid idiots using your name is to actually create one of those stupid blogs. This way, your name will be attached to your blog…it won’t stop the dummies from doing it, but at least you can tell who posted what…and if it doesn’t have a blog attached you will know it wasn’t the actual poster…I guess that should work.

• Gobias Industries - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:15 PM

• Old Gator - Oct 15, 2010 at 5:16 PM

But will it prevent gormless gits from using your name?

• Lloyd Budd - Oct 16, 2010 at 1:12 AM

> it won’t stop the dummies from doing it, but at least you can tell who posted what

Nope, anyone can set their primary site to any site they want.

There are a couple of things you can do:
      1. The theme developers can easily differentiate comments from the the authors.
      2. What might get you some of the rest of the way is adding Gravatar’s to the theme. Sure someone can use the exact same profile pic, but the gravatar URL is unique to each user, and if they have a Gravatar profile there is no playing games (unless the blog authors are the ones playing the games). http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2010/06/02/your-public-profile/

15. BC - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Cool! I got my BC name back!

16. jbtheoriginal - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Chris and BC,
    How’d you guys get to use the caps and spaces in your names? I had to change from “JB (the original)” to this because it wouldn’t allow caps, spaces or non-number/letter characters when re-registering…..

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Go to My Account, Edit My profile. There’s a section that allows you to put in a name that will be seen on your posts. You can update that as much as you want. If you want to avoid dipshits putting stuff in using your name, you should create a blog that goes with your name so that the link gets put into your official posts. Helps with the confusion.

• JB (the original) - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Yeah, I got it sorted. What’s your name? What’s your account name? What’s your visible account name? Edit, edit, edit…..

17. God Himself Can't Make Me Root for the Yanks, But Fiorentino Might - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:30 PM

A new identity! Cool! Almost like witness protection.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Pedro!

• I'm Not Really Chris Fiorentino (Thank Fucking Christ) - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:41 PM

This is just too much fun.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Nope, not me. Just another concerned citizen wishing you would just go away.

18. JBerardi - Oct 15, 2010 at 5:19 PM

WordPress is groovy and all, but it absolutely will not let me log in using Firefox (Mac OS 10.5.8). This is a considerable bummer for me.

• Lloyd Budd - Oct 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Please contact our support team at http://en.support.wordpress.com/contact/ and we should be able to get this sorted quickly. Please do include the version of Firefox, and try clearing the cache and cookies

19. Adam - Oct 16, 2010 at 12:01 AM

So when are tags coming back? I miss the good ol’ tags you used to use.

20. lunatic96 - Oct 18, 2010 at 5:30 PM

One annoying new aspect of the HBT, is that in my rss reader, clicking on the individual blog posts no longer takes me straight to the actual post with comments. I think if your technical wizards removed the “?related=1″ code from the links that would be great appreciated because then I wouldn’t need to click yet another link just to get to the comments section.

21. Innocent Bystander - Oct 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM

…and the mobile site? Need help so I can access this on my BB at work, people!!! Let’s get the mobile site back up and running. Thanks.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet