You have to work extra hard to hate on A-Rod these days

Oct 15, 2010, 9:20 AM EST

New York Yankees Workout Session Getty Images

I don’t know why I read Lupica, but I do. I suppose there’s no helping me and that I get everything I deserve. Today’s is fun, though. It’s basically a scene-setter, focusing on A-Rod battling his former team, the Texas Rangers.

What makes it fun? The way in which Lupica tries to paint A-Rod as one of the people who “sent the Rangers into bankruptcy,” before nothing that, well, he wasn’t the only one [note: A-Rod has zero responsibility for that; if Tom Hicks offered you that crazy money, you’d take it too and if Tom Hicks hadn’t otherwise mismanaged his affairs the Rangers could have afforded it].  The way that Lupica feels it necessary to reference  A-Rod’s postseason woes before mentioning that, actually, he’s been outrageously clutch in recent years. You can tell that he’s disappointed that he can’t write this up as “Greedy A-Rod seeks redemption.” Despite the fact that he’s already won rings and MVPs and, for whatever quirks and issues he has, has been a fantastic baseball player who has now played longer in New York than he did anywhere else. Query: is he even a True Yankee yet?

Whatever. I hate storylines. I hate the manufacturing of interpersonal drama. It’s baseball. What’s so hard about looking at this series in those terms?

1. leadweights - Oct 15, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Drama sells, that’s the story isn’t it?

• Glenn - Oct 15, 2010 at 5:00 PM

As a BoSox fan, I have to hate A-Rod, but I have to give him credit for being willing to take a pay cut to come to Boston. Everyone seems to forget that.

Funny, but it is very easy to hate Lupica.

2. mrelbravoheyward - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM

ARod also caused the 2004 Tsunami and trapped those miners down in Chile. What a jerk.

3. oldgator - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I like having a scapegoat. Even though A-Rod plainly wants to be loved (a dream by which Lupica is happily unencumbered), his need for approbation and affection only makes him a more vulnerable and desirable scapegoat. A scapegoat who fights back is no fun; the entire point of picking a scapegoat is that they’ve got to just lie there and take it. Look, A-Rod isn’t a Muslim, he isn’t a “Socialist,” he certainly isn’t a “Marxist” (and let’s not forget another qualification for selecting a scapegoat: you need to be totally ignorant about what your scapegoat really is, thinks, believes and so forth, like, say Tea Party activists are); as far as we know he’s not a pedophile. Hell, we don’t even know if he goes to Church. Okay, so he’s a bit of a philanderer, but what secret little peanut farmer in all of us hasn’t at least sinned in his imagination every so often? That’s beside the point, of course: Lupica isn’t singling him out for infidelity, which, frankly, makes me wonder what Lupica is hiding, since Lupica will unhesitatingly single him out for every other apocryphal reason. Ergo, since A-Rod can’t be held responsible for anything Lupica holds him responsible for, he’s a perfect scapegoat. And that, finally, is the point of having one: they’re easy.

• oldgator - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:11 AM

PS – first day of the WordPress regime, and a lumbering, authoritarian, unresponsive virtual bureaucracy it is indeed. Probably, this atrocious program is called “wordpress” because it presses words together, to wit, Old Gator into “oldgator,” which, if pressed any further, would eventually become a blood diamond and, probably by pitchers and catchers if not before, a singularity which will suck in every other blog that approaches its event horizon. This is cutting edge technology – a web publisher that can’t handle spaces and uppercase letters? Major tech fail.

• utleyshair - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Meh. You’re just one of those change-resistant old fogeys that Craig was talking about.

And the TP activists aren’t “ignorant about what [their] scapegoat really is, thinks, believes and so forth.” They know full well that he isn’t what/who/how they paint him as.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:34 AM

You can go into your profile and update how you want your name seen on your posts.

• PedroCerranoIsAPussy - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Just Like This…

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM

And then back again…

• Old Gator - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Or like this…blah blah I hate Republicans…blah blah…Tea Party is evil…blah blah…the Feesh are horrible even though they have won 2 World Series in their short history…blah blah…I rag on the Feesh because what else do I have except the humidity to complain about.

• merklesboner - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Yes, but Old Gator…er, sorry, I mean oldgator…you no longer have to put that silly period in between your paragraphs to create a space. You can just hit the Enter key and the space is created automatically.

See?! Cutting edge technology.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I felt dirty myself, impersonating a liberal douchenozzle like yourself, Gator. Call me alot of things, but i’m no idiot(for those of you who didn’t score 1600 on their SATs, gormless git means stupid idiot). I may have off-the-wall opinions, and I may have a political view that is 180 degrees from yours. But that’s no reason to call someone stupid. So kiss my ass you Dennis Miller wannabe.

• leadweights - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Some Tea party members are very lost. Recruited by the left wing to draw away votes from right wing candidates of the republican party. Politics are totally corrupt in this country no matter which side of the chicken they hail from. I’d just as soon trust tea party candidates as I would either of the other options. Sure they seem nutty. At least they don’t have a complete history of screwing us over to draw from like the other two options.

• oldgator - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Oh, but give them a couple of elections to work with and they will.

And of course the “Old Gator” posting above is a faux Old Gater, which leads to the first obvious problem on this new “cutting edge” system: you can match handles to various passwords and impersonate correspondents. This is juvenile, of course, but then there are juveniles out there, but then one of the major reasons I support abortion rights is that children are horrible. Must have a chat with Craigster about this. I don’t mind getting ragged, but impersonation is not the sincerest form of flattery when your impersonator is a gormless git.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Too true Gator. But those two terms could be grand ones indeed. I’m not too keen on the ability to impersonate either. I mean don’t I piss enough people off without having helpers? Hopefully that option will wear out soon, or be changed. Ok, time to go google “gormless git” have a wonderful weekend sir. GO PHILLS! Woot!

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:25 PM

And by the way, dumbass, nobody stole your password. Anybody can put any handle they want on their profile. If you took the time to go into your profile, you would have seen that from the start. But you are too busy posting lines from Dennis Miller’s rants and posting things that nobody gives a shit about in the last half century. Try getting with the 90’s and learn how to use the freaking internet already if you are going to post on a blog…you gormless git.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I never saw that word on the SAT’s?? gormless git?? hmmm? Anyway Chris, cheeel out man, it’s friday. And I always thought that Gator was closer to Bill Maher than Dennis Miller. Both are entirely too opinionated in a bizarro Rush Lintball kinda way for my taste, but Gator isn’t trying to con anyone into adopting his liberal ways like those cats I mentioned above, or like Lintball does, so he’s alright in my book. Life would be too boring if we all agreed on how our hard earned money is to be divied up by the crooks anyway.
        Can’t we all just agree to allow everyone to call us names without getting offended? The world would be such a better place for it. Just look at New Jersey (eden). Have a great weekend. GO PHILLS!! Woot!

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Craig said no more names, so I’ll leave it at that…however, if he would have just called me a stupid idiot, I would probably have been alright with it. But it was just too damn elitist of him to call me something all fancy like a gormless git.

• Old Gator - Oct 15, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Ooooo, touchy today, aren’t we, CF? Just FYI, I said nothing about stealing passwords, just that one could match any name one wanted to one’s own. And this year the Feesh were awful, whether they won two world series in the past ten thirteen years notwithstanding. How much worse they would have been in a division where they didn’t get to play the Mutts and Gnats 18 times each we will never know, unfortunately. Not quite the same thing. But since I did score 1600 SAT verbals, I could have made those distinctions myself, unlike some folks who claim they aren’t stupid but are so prone to self-indulgent hissyfits and trailer park level name calling (as opposed to, say, namecalling that requires 1600 SAT verbals) that they see flashing colors instead of text when trying to read a post. “Douchenozzle” – assuming that’s about the only name you call people – sounds like something twelve year old Bill O’Reilly would have called the Downs Syndrome kids on his school bus.

Fortunately, the score of my math SAT hasn’t come up here….

4. utleyshair - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I find it takes just the same amount of effort–if not a little less–to hate ARoid today than I did last year or the year before that. His off-field shenanigans combined with his on-field stuff make it that way.

And where are these rings? Last I knew, he only had one–partly due to his postseason woes.

• oldgator - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Well, I’m not surprised to hear that the Tea Party has taken on A-Rod now. He’s clearly the one who was reading My Pet Goat when Godzilla walked out of Tokyo Bay….

5. PedroCerranoIsAPussy - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Just Like This…

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM

And now I know.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM

How far down can you reply to these threads?

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:42 AM

And I guess that answers my question.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Nice. I’m waiting for the obligatory post, from “Chris Fiorentino” talking about how great the Phillies are…it’s coming from one of these douchnozzles…

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I’ve seen the Phillies turn water into wine. And save a kitten stuck in a tree. And donate their bone marrow to a sick kid. Phillies rule. Your team sucks.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:09 PM

lolz

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:09 PM

WTF? Now other people can reply as you? Uh…Craig, this is Utley’s Hair. Anything going to be done about this?

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:10 PM

No way ya douchenozzle…

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:12 PM

it does check to make sure you don’t say the same thing twice…can’t even say lolz twice…oh well.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:13 PM

No, I’m the real Utley’s Hair. That other one is an impostor. Don’t change a thing, Craig. I like this just fine. Phillies suck. Your team rules.

• Joe Buck - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Sir, I know Utley’s Hair. Utley’s Hair is a friend of mine. You, sir are no Utley’s Hair.

• Joe Buck - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Besides, I love Utley’s Hair. I wish I had Utley’s Hair. Utley’s Hair would be perfect if only Utley’s Hair weren’t in this scourge of a sports town.

• oldgator - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM

There ya go, cutting edge technology. And I haven’t even unclogged the steam ducts so I could run my Babbage engine yet. Sheesh.

6. Charles Gates - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Hey look, I’m back.
    No more John_Michael for me.

7. Joe Buck - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Yay…thank God I get to spend all of Sunday droning on about how Philly sports teams and fans are the worst thing since bubonic plague. My challenge is finding a corporate segue into bringing up the Santa Claus and JD Drew episodes.

I am the king of all sports media, just ask me. I love to hear the sound of my own voice. I only got this job because of my dad. When the hell will this hick next to me stop yammering on about whatever the hell he’s yammering on about. Where the hell am I? Oh, that’s right. I am in Philly, which is the scourge of the earth. suck. They are why this league sucks.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Jonny5, is that you?

• Rev. Jesse Jackson - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:58 PM

nope. :>P

• Jonny5 - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:59 PM

It might be.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Or it might even be you.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Or it could be me.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:08 PM

BTW, it looks like Game 5 conditions for tomorrow. A no-hitter would make Doc a real clutch pitcher.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Can’t be me…I created one of those blogs so now whenever I post, it has my blog link in it. So there!!!

• Jonny 5 - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Ok, Now you guys are confusing the sheeeeit out of me.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Can pitchers be “clutch” without hitting? I’m not sure.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:14 PM

It’s pretty simple, leadweights…you can’t post as someone else when you have a link to your blog in your name. If you want to be a whacko and change your name every 5 minutes, then you can…but you should really remove the blog link so you don’t come off as just plain stupid.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:23 PM

That’s better. Damn Joe Buck hijacking my account.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Dude, Leadweights is my Microsoft Zune account name. It’s me you weiner. Anyway, I’m not too sure I’m happy with this new system. I’m just trying to figure it all out, i’m not going to be changing my name. Although being Jesse Jackson seemed kinda fun.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:38 PM

OK, so in your case Jonny5 = Deadweights. lolz

• Jonny 5 - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:47 PM

bingo. Someone already owns me apparently. Besides my beautiful captor, err wife.

8. Rev. Jesse Jackson - Oct 15, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I totally capitulate and state, the hate rate thrown at the feet of Philly is entirely silly. I would like to observate the latest objective at being selective towards throwing defecate at fans of that city in that fine state.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Al Sharpton was going to reply to this, but I really need to do some work.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:58 PM

And apparently the wind will be dying down considerably before game time, and no rain, either.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:07 PM

nice… I’ll be slaving away fixing up the powder room until 6:30 give or take anyway. As long as it’s nice by the time i get out of the shower (a six pack later) I don’t care. Man it’s a drag redoing your house.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:09 PM

yes i have a powder room, Just like Jeter. I must be rich!

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I feel you, man. Well, not really FEEL you…’cause that would be like…ya know…weird and all.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:11 PM

We aren’t on the kiss cam are we ????

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM

No, but your wife is watching…with Heidi Hamels.

9. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I am listening to the Fan and fathead Mike Francesca just said that he would take Phil Hughes over Cole Hamels. What a freaking idiot. He is saying the Yankers big three are as good as the Phillies big three. Jesus Christ he is out of his freaking mind.
    Halladay > CC
    Oswalt > Petitte
    Hamels > Hughes

Man, he has his HOMER sunglasses on today. I would say this…

Yankers lineup is a 10
    Phillies lineup is a 9.5

Yankers starters are an 8
    Phillies starters are a 10

Yankers bullpen is a 10
    Phillies bullpen is a 6

However, the Phillies bullpen really only needs 2 guys…Madsen and Lidge. Those two guys would be an 8 to the Yankers 10…so it isn’t much of a difference. Fat Mike needs to get his head examined if he is going to say he would take Hughes over Hamels…the 2008 MVP of the World Series. What has Hughes had…one good playoff start? Gimme a break.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Hughes over Hamels? That is stretching things a bit i’d say. Was he suspecting Hamels to be down with the flu and with a broken pinkie finger?

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Now he is flopping..he’s saying he thinks hughes can match Hamels. He is such an idiot. First, he says Mariano is head and shoulder above everyone and percentages say he will be better. Then he says Hughes COULD PITCH as good as Hamels but doesn’t talk about how the percentages show Hamels will be better. What a knucklehead.

10. kiwicricket - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:42 PM

testing…testing….1…2…..

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Don’t you get testy with us.

• kiwicricket - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Hey! Congrats! You have space between your Utley, and your hair

11. kiwicricket - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:06 PM

I have noticed that some people can respond as other persons etc. Since we all know one another pretty well….I’m just going to come out and say this. I have always wanted to be a woman. Are there any female posters on here who I can experiment with their name-sake? I see this as the closest possible thing to surgery. Kind regards.

12. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Hey folks — this is the real Craig. Honest.

I realize that the ability to use others’ names is . . . problematic. We’re looking into it now to see if we can’t fix that. Personally, I hope we can and I’ll let you know what I learn as soon as possible.

In the meantime, everyone: grow the hell up.

Please use your name — or at the very least, a unique name — until we can resolve the matter. I know I can’t make you. And it may be funny, if used sparingly, to be able to post under aliases from time to time. But I can see who you really are when you comment, and if I find people abusing this going forward, I’m going to get really grumpy.

At any rate: let’s stop the name calling as soon as I get done with this: Chris: you are an annoying conservative Phillies fan. Gator: you are an annoying liberal Feesh, um, observer. I wouldn’t have either of you any other way because you each add character to this joint. But please, you each can do better than calling the other stupid and whatnot.

Now: back to fighting the real enemy: the Canadians.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 15, 2010 at 3:41 PM

The simplest solution is to create a blog that matches the name you want to use on here. Then when two people use the same name, the one that is legit is the one that is green with the link to a blog. That’s what I did and now I feel better. And as a bonus, I can go on my own private blog and call Old gator whatever I want ;)

• Old Gator - Oct 15, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Ackcherley, I didn’t think that lumbering, off-target “impersonator” was really you, Chris, or I wouldn’t have used a sophisticated term like “gormless git.” It reminded me of that old Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone, the only real one we ever had) movie wherein Professor Moriarty has taken Holmes hostage and asks him how he would like to die. Shooting? Stabbing? “You disappoint me, Moriarty,” Holmes replies. “I would have expected something more…imaginative…from you.”

Now really, you’re more than welcome to your neander….heh heh, pardon me, idiotic, political views. And even reallyer, there’s nothing gratui…er…irrelevant about bringing up the Tea Party (I don’t see “Republicans” mentioned in my post, do you?) in a discussion involving scapegoats or idiots, though admittedly I might as well have brought up the Pachy – er, GOP, poetic license and all.

But – (hey! No period to hold the line!) – if you want a delightful surprise, go ahead and run back through the entire past year of posts and find something nice I said about the Democrats. I wish you hours and hours of pleasant diversion. But you have to promise not to steal my best lines about Nancy Pelosi, especially the ones about waking up and paper bags.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Damn!!!!!!! Don’t make Craig turn this car around!!!! You kids are driving him CUH-RAAAAAZY!!!!

And, Craig, I thought the real enemies were the PFT and the NFL…?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester