Oct 16, 2010, 11:24 AM EDT
We hinted at the possibility last night and the Giants just made it official: Barry Zito is not on the team’s roster for the NLCS against the Phillies, according to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News.
Zito was also left off the roster for the NLDS against the Braves. Madison Bumgarner, who yielded two runs over six innings in Game 4 against the Braves on Monday, is tentatively scheduled to pitch Game 4 against the Phillies next Wednesday.
There are actually no changes on the team’s roster from the previous round. Giants manager Bruce Bochy was reportedly considering carrying a third left-hander out of the bullpen against the lefty-heavy Phillies lineup, but he ultimately decided to keep right-hander Guillermo Mota over Zito or Dan Runzler.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)