Oct 16, 2010, 11:24 AM EDT
We hinted at the possibility last night and the Giants just made it official: Barry Zito is not on the team’s roster for the NLCS against the Phillies, according to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News.
Zito was also left off the roster for the NLDS against the Braves. Madison Bumgarner, who yielded two runs over six innings in Game 4 against the Braves on Monday, is tentatively scheduled to pitch Game 4 against the Phillies next Wednesday.
There are actually no changes on the team’s roster from the previous round. Giants manager Bruce Bochy was reportedly considering carrying a third left-hander out of the bullpen against the lefty-heavy Phillies lineup, but he ultimately decided to keep right-hander Guillermo Mota over Zito or Dan Runzler.
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 3
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 18
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 5
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 4
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 33
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (80)