Oct 16, 2010, 11:24 AM EDT
We hinted at the possibility last night and the Giants just made it official: Barry Zito is not on the team’s roster for the NLCS against the Phillies, according to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News.
Zito was also left off the roster for the NLDS against the Braves. Madison Bumgarner, who yielded two runs over six innings in Game 4 against the Braves on Monday, is tentatively scheduled to pitch Game 4 against the Phillies next Wednesday.
There are actually no changes on the team’s roster from the previous round. Giants manager Bruce Bochy was reportedly considering carrying a third left-hander out of the bullpen against the lefty-heavy Phillies lineup, but he ultimately decided to keep right-hander Guillermo Mota over Zito or Dan Runzler.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 103
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)