Oct 16, 2010, 11:24 AM EDT
We hinted at the possibility last night and the Giants just made it official: Barry Zito is not on the team’s roster for the NLCS against the Phillies, according to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News.
Zito was also left off the roster for the NLDS against the Braves. Madison Bumgarner, who yielded two runs over six innings in Game 4 against the Braves on Monday, is tentatively scheduled to pitch Game 4 against the Phillies next Wednesday.
There are actually no changes on the team’s roster from the previous round. Giants manager Bruce Bochy was reportedly considering carrying a third left-hander out of the bullpen against the lefty-heavy Phillies lineup, but he ultimately decided to keep right-hander Guillermo Mota over Zito or Dan Runzler.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 0
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 45
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)