Oct 16, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
Insider is required to read this one, but according to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Royals intend to listen to “any and all offers” for Zack Greinke.
The Royals have a nice stockpile of top prospects, including third baseman Mike Moustakas, first baseman Eric Hosmer and left-hander John Lamb, but the franchise will probably not be in a position to contend until a couple years from now. Meanwhile, Greinke has two years and $27 million left on his current contract.
Greinke voiced his concerns to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star back in August:
“There’s no reason for me to get real excited about it,” he said, “because the chance of more than one of them making a major impact by the time my contract is up is pretty slim.”
Because the Royals have him for two more years, they really shouldn’t have a sense of urgency to deal him, but there’s an argument to be made that he could be the most coveted pitcher available this winter. Let’s be honest, only a couple of teams will even be able to enter the bidding for Cliff Lee, so the remainder of Greinke’s contract looks like a pretty decent bargain by comparison.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)