Oct 16, 2010, 8:59 AM EDT
It’s the question ringing in everybody’s head this morning.
In the post-game press conference, Ron Washington was asked why he didn’t consider bringing in Neftali Feliz for a six-out save, instead of turning to Darren Oliver, Darren O’Day, Clay Rapada and then, finally, Derek Holland (via the Dallas Morning News). You know, pretty much everyone except his best reliever.
“No. He’s never done anything like that. I wouldn’t do that. I had the people I wanted in the game. They didn’t get it done. It happens.”
That would be a fine retort if it was even remotely true. Fact is, it’s not. While none of them were “save situations,” Feliz has been used for six outs three times this season, including an extra inning win against these very same Yankees back on August 10. He has been asked to get at least four outs three other times. This season he has been groomed for short work out of the bullpen, but last season, eight of his 20 appearances were two innings or more.
“The Darrens” have been pretty effective this season, so I don’t necessarily disagree with using them, at least initially, but I just can’t understand how you put Game 1 in the hands of Clay Rapada. Why save Neftali Feliz for a save opportunity which may never come?
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)