Oct 16, 2010, 8:59 AM EDT
It’s the question ringing in everybody’s head this morning.
In the post-game press conference, Ron Washington was asked why he didn’t consider bringing in Neftali Feliz for a six-out save, instead of turning to Darren Oliver, Darren O’Day, Clay Rapada and then, finally, Derek Holland (via the Dallas Morning News). You know, pretty much everyone except his best reliever.
“No. He’s never done anything like that. I wouldn’t do that. I had the people I wanted in the game. They didn’t get it done. It happens.”
That would be a fine retort if it was even remotely true. Fact is, it’s not. While none of them were “save situations,” Feliz has been used for six outs three times this season, including an extra inning win against these very same Yankees back on August 10. He has been asked to get at least four outs three other times. This season he has been groomed for short work out of the bullpen, but last season, eight of his 20 appearances were two innings or more.
“The Darrens” have been pretty effective this season, so I don’t necessarily disagree with using them, at least initially, but I just can’t understand how you put Game 1 in the hands of Clay Rapada. Why save Neftali Feliz for a save opportunity which may never come?
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)