Why didn’t Ron Washington bring in Neftali Feliz in the eighth inning?

Oct 16, 2010, 8:59 AM EDT

Ron Washington

It’s the question ringing in everybody’s head this morning.

In the post-game press conference, Ron Washington was asked why he didn’t consider bringing in Neftali Feliz for a six-out save, instead of turning to Darren Oliver, Darren O’Day, Clay Rapada and then, finally, Derek Holland (via the Dallas Morning News). You know, pretty much everyone except his best reliever.

“No. He’s never done anything like that. I wouldn’t do that. I had the people I wanted in the game. They didn’t get it done. It happens.”

That would be a fine retort if it was even remotely true. Fact is, it’s not. While none of them were “save situations,” Feliz has been used for six outs three times this season, including an extra inning win against these very same Yankees back on August 10. He has been asked to get at least four outs three other times. This season he has been groomed for short work out of the bullpen, but last season, eight of his 20 appearances were two innings or more.

“The Darrens” have been pretty effective this season, so I don’t necessarily disagree with using them, at least initially, but I just can’t understand how you put Game 1 in the hands of Clay Rapada. Why save Neftali Feliz for a save opportunity which may never come?

1. spankyomonkey - Oct 16, 2010 at 10:03 AM

ouch .. sucks to be a ranger fan. second guess washington all you want. crap happens … yea, so do 6 stupid decisions in a row

2. jfk69 - Oct 16, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Too much of that white powder has made Ron forgetful and confused. Good for the Yankees..not good for Texas.

3. pisano - Oct 16, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Maybe Feliz isn’t good for two innings . In today’s game the closers are more specialized , the day of the two or more inning closers (Goose Gossage type) are long gone . For one thing look at the size and strength of a guy like Gossage compared to a Mariano Rivera , a big difference . In Gossage’s day it was raw power , today it’s location and off speed pitches .

4. Old Gator - Oct 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Okay, I have a procedural question again as we all get accustomed to this horribly over-engineered WordPress client to which HardballTalk has been shifted (and on the opening day of stone crab season, no less). It’s nice that this system can do all of this irrelevant stuff but why can’t I check email on my toothbrush?

I note that this comment header says “three posts” but only see two above mine. I also note that on one of the prior game report threads the comment header says “nine posts” but only see five or so. Are the missing posts in the Forbidden Zone, and how can we see them?

Finally, what’s all this Twitter-like shrapnel building up underneath and between the sequential posts? What are they doing here? If we must look at piles of verbal detritus, most of which – like the attenuated phrase bytes in Twitter itself – are barely coherent half the time, can’t they be relegated to the bottom of the thread someplace instead of cluttering up the flow of the discussion?

• pisano - Oct 16, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Gator , as usual you bring up good posts. Is it just me , or do you have to sign on with a username and password once a day . Why can’t we just leave well enough alone ? Hardball talk was just fine , but now we have to make things a little more complicated.” If it ain’t broke , don’t fix it “

• Old Gator - Oct 16, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Especially true of Peruvian mixed ceviche, which I am preparing at the moment. On misguided sliver of habanero pepper stuck between your teeth and gums and all your accrued good karma for the day goes down the terlet, as my uncle Maury used to say.

You can check the little box that says “remember me” where you set up your user name (pardon me, username) and password and you’ll be sucked through a chronosynclastic infundibulum directly to hardball talk every time you want to leave a post. On the bright side, though, they didn’t shift this little dystopia of ours to Yahoo. There, they unlog you at random just so they can challenge your legitimacy again. If you don’t know who Cheetah the monkey belonged to, can’t open a pack of Lucky Strikes using the little red tab, or can’t remember the names of all three Andrews Sisters (Pomona, Covina and Laverne) they beat the living shit out of you.

5. elchorro - Oct 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I think the game was lost; when we had a ball hit to 3er base and the third base man decides to play a bull fighter, any one remember?

• frankvzappa - Oct 16, 2010 at 1:46 PM

“Come on, Dorn, get in front of the damn ball. Don’t give me this ole′ bullshit…”

• Old Gator - Oct 16, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Yeah, elchorro, what did you want him to do – dive for it?

6. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 16, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Ron Washington forgot who he was dealing with here. This isn’t the Rays. This isn’t the A’s. This is the New York Yankers. There is a reason they win most of the time. They are good and they jump on weakness. Once Jeter hit that double, Washington should have put in his best. Feliz may have done no better, but at least Washington could say that he went down with his best. Now all he can say is that he went down with “the people he wanted”. And now, the Rangers are toast. Yankers in 5, because they won’t beat Lee. But without Lee, this would be a 4 game series.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3990)