Oct 17, 2010, 9:53 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported Saturday that the Dodgers and left-handed starter Ted Lilly were “close” on a new three-year contract. Now, according to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, that deal is complete.
No financial details have been released because Lilly still needs to pass a physical. That should take place early next week.
Lilly, 34, turned in a stellar 3.62 ERA and 1.08 WHIP over 30 starts this season, striking out 166 batters and walking only 44 over 193.2 innings. He began his 2010 campaign in Chicago, where a poor offense led him to a 3-8 win-loss record over his first 18 starts. A trade at the July deadline brought him to Los Angeles, however, where he finished 7-4 with a 0.99 WHIP over his final 12 outings.
For Lilly to pass on an opportunity to test the free agent market, he must have been handsomely rewarded by the Dodgers. Many believed that the club — still being killed by the McCourts’ divorce proceedings — would not be able to make many large-scale moves this offseason. So far, that idea looks to be incorrect.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)