Oct 17, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse predicted one week ago that the Mets have already decided on hiring Sandy Alderson to serve as the club’s next general manager.
It looks like Price is going to be correct.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Alderson has been asked back for a second interview that will be attended by Mets principal owner Fred Wilpon and team president Saul Katz. The meeting is expected to take place Thursday and it’s highly probable that Alderson, who did very well in his first chat with club officials, will be given the job soon after.
Alderson is currently working on Major League Baseball’s ongoing effort to clean up and police the amateur ranks in Latin America. He was an executive with the A’s during their run of success in the 80s and 90s, and he has Bud Selig’s blessing to leave his current post. In fact, Selig and Wilpon happen to be friends.
The Mets have also interviewed former Royals GM Allard Baird, White Sox assistant GM Rick Hahn, former Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes and Dodgers assistant GM Logan White. It’s a list of impressive candidates, but most baseball insiders believe Alderson to be the most fitting option.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 3
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 30
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)