Oct 17, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse predicted one week ago that the Mets have already decided on hiring Sandy Alderson to serve as the club’s next general manager.
It looks like Price is going to be correct.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Alderson has been asked back for a second interview that will be attended by Mets principal owner Fred Wilpon and team president Saul Katz. The meeting is expected to take place Thursday and it’s highly probable that Alderson, who did very well in his first chat with club officials, will be given the job soon after.
Alderson is currently working on Major League Baseball’s ongoing effort to clean up and police the amateur ranks in Latin America. He was an executive with the A’s during their run of success in the 80s and 90s, and he has Bud Selig’s blessing to leave his current post. In fact, Selig and Wilpon happen to be friends.
The Mets have also interviewed former Royals GM Allard Baird, White Sox assistant GM Rick Hahn, former Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes and Dodgers assistant GM Logan White. It’s a list of impressive candidates, but most baseball insiders believe Alderson to be the most fitting option.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (105)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)