Oct 17, 2010, 2:49 PM EST
Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse predicted one week ago that the Mets have already decided on hiring Sandy Alderson to serve as the club’s next general manager.
It looks like Price is going to be correct.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Alderson has been asked back for a second interview that will be attended by Mets principal owner Fred Wilpon and team president Saul Katz. The meeting is expected to take place Thursday and it’s highly probable that Alderson, who did very well in his first chat with club officials, will be given the job soon after.
Alderson is currently working on Major League Baseball’s ongoing effort to clean up and police the amateur ranks in Latin America. He was an executive with the A’s during their run of success in the 80s and 90s, and he has Bud Selig’s blessing to leave his current post. In fact, Selig and Wilpon happen to be friends.
The Mets have also interviewed former Royals GM Allard Baird, White Sox assistant GM Rick Hahn, former Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes and Dodgers assistant GM Logan White. It’s a list of impressive candidates, but most baseball insiders believe Alderson to be the most fitting option.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 32
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 78
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 129
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 22
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (130)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)