Oct 17, 2010, 11:48 AM EST
ESPN analyst and former major league skipper Bobby Valentine has interviewed for a variety of managerial openings this offseason and has expressed interest in a few different gigs. He is highly respected and has enjoyed success at nearly every level of baseball, and yet he hasn’t been offered a position by any club.
Maybe his contract demands are too high, or maybe he doesn’t want to step into a rebuilding role. Either way, it looks as though Bobby V won’t be coaching in 2011.
Ken Davidoff of New York’s Newsday thinks that Valentine will wind up back at ESPN in an analyst role when all is said and done, and the 60-year-old hinted as much when speaking with Chris Russo on Sirius XM’s Mad Dog Radio this weekend.
“If it was just a job, I think I could already have it, and probably have it a few places, and I really am flattered by the people who have had me in and have talked to me and even offered me a chance,” Valentine said Friday. “But I’m looking for that perfect situation, and it hasn’t presented itself yet.”
Valentine has been courted by the Marlins, Mariners and even Blue Jays this offseason. The Mets have not yet begun their search for a new skipper, opting instead to focus on finding a new general manager. Maybe they’ll consider giving Bobby V another try once their front office is settled.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 99
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 38
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 366
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (366)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (101)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)