Oct 17, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
ESPN analyst and former major league skipper Bobby Valentine has interviewed for a variety of managerial openings this offseason and has expressed interest in a few different gigs. He is highly respected and has enjoyed success at nearly every level of baseball, and yet he hasn’t been offered a position by any club.
Maybe his contract demands are too high, or maybe he doesn’t want to step into a rebuilding role. Either way, it looks as though Bobby V won’t be coaching in 2011.
Ken Davidoff of New York’s Newsday thinks that Valentine will wind up back at ESPN in an analyst role when all is said and done, and the 60-year-old hinted as much when speaking with Chris Russo on Sirius XM’s Mad Dog Radio this weekend.
“If it was just a job, I think I could already have it, and probably have it a few places, and I really am flattered by the people who have had me in and have talked to me and even offered me a chance,” Valentine said Friday. “But I’m looking for that perfect situation, and it hasn’t presented itself yet.”
Valentine has been courted by the Marlins, Mariners and even Blue Jays this offseason. The Mets have not yet begun their search for a new skipper, opting instead to focus on finding a new general manager. Maybe they’ll consider giving Bobby V another try once their front office is settled.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 10
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights