Oct 17, 2010, 3:38 PM EST
Francisco Rodriguez was placed on the restricted list in mid-August after allegedly assaulting his girlfriend’s father inside the walls of Citi Field. He did not throw another pitch and was not paid over the last month-plus of the regular season.
Hey may never pitching again for the Mets, but, according to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, K-Rod plans to get back to live baseball in early November.
The 28-year-old is close to being recovered from the torn right thumb ligament that he suffered in the alleged assault and has made plans to participate in the Venezuelan Winter League. Rodriguez turned in a 2.20 ERA, 67/21 K/BB ratio and 1.15 WHIP over 57.1 innings this season while converting 25 of 30 saves. He still has the goods and is likely to find another gig if the Mets want to cut ties completely.
Rodriguez and the Mets are close to agreeing on a settlement for the remaining $11.5 million on K-Rod’s current deal. He also has a $17.5 million vesting option for 2012 that will factor into the final number.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)